Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Splash, gone, but how?

Post by ladybug15057 »

What do you feed your hermit crabs?
Fresh foods, vegies, every once and a while hermit crab crunchies.
IMO, I would throw the Hermit crab crunchies out. Looking up the ingredients:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=2752630
Ingredients:
Peanut meal, whole shelled peanuts, ground lima beans, ground wheat, calcium carbonate, yeast culture, monocalcium and dicalcium phosphate, sodium chloride, dried spirulina microalgae, vitamin e supplement, folic acid supplement, etc.
I must say this is the FIRST I have seen ingredients end with “etc.” What??? Are the rest of the ingredients THAT bad that they are not being put on the label???? What fresh foods do you offer? I see ‘veggies’?
Do you use distilled, bottled, tap or other types of water?
Bottled, I check the ingredients for any thing bad.
Bottled? What is the name brand of the bottled water?
If you are using a dechlorinator, what brand is it? Does it state to remove all heavy metals, chlorine and chloramines?
No.
You do or do not use a dechlorinator? Or does it not remove the above? If you do use a dechlor, what is the brand name?
What is the air temperature range and humidity inside the tank?
72-78% most of the time.
% is the humidity reading…. What is the range of the temperature of the tank?
What is the highest temperature that the substrate near the heat source reaches?
No more than 76 degres
What is the cool side of the substrate reading, and how do you take the substrate temp?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
rmbrmb
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 35
Total tanks: 3

Post by rmbrmb »

I was reading the hermit crab crunchies bottle and it dosen't say 'ect.' on it. I'll probly replace it with peanut butter from a farmers market when I get the chance.
I feed what ever is in the fridge really. Like apples, carrots, lettuse, strawberries, bannas, oranges, ect.
I use Nestle Water bottles.
No, I don't use a dechlorinator.
My temp's are 75-78 on warm side and 73-70 on cool side.
I use an electronic thermometer. Every once and a while I poke it in the ground and press a buttion and it tells me the temp. I think it was meant for cooking, but it works just fine!
My crew:
Snapper, Violet, Thrash, Finch, Splich-Splat, and Cookie

Rip:
Splash
Squrit
Dead and missed!
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

I feed what ever is in the fridge really. Like apples, carrots, lettuse, strawberries, bannas, oranges, ect.
This is better than store bought food unless it is either freeze dried or dehydrated. (preservative free) But even at that fresh foods should be offered for the natural oils and juices they contain.
For a list of foods please see:
http://hermitcrabcuisine.com/

Try to give a food from each food group daily. (rotated of course)
I use Nestle Water bottles.
I would suggest not to give this to your hermies. You mentioned you looked to make sure there is nothing in it to harm them, which might be true but it is enhanced with minerals: (even their plain pure life water) I have tried this water myself and do not care for it... it does leave a mineral aftertaste.

http://www.nestle-watersna.com/pdf/NPL_BWQR.pdf
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
rmbrmb
Zygote
Zygote

Post by rmbrmb »

I'll look into getting a dechlorinator. What brand would you personally recommend?
My crew:

Rip:
Splash
Squrit
Dead and missed!
Purple pinchers
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Post by Purple pinchers »

I like/use the API dechlorinator, http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... catid=4038
Also hermit crabs need meat in there diet, I like to use hamburger, chicken, egg, and freeze dried blood worms. They dont need very much meat just once a week is good.
*Pack Rat*
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Also hermit crabs need meat in there diet,
VERY true!! But let's remember that where as all meats have protein in them that hermies need, not all meats contain chitin. Chitin can be found in insect exo's, crustacean exo's, ....
http://crabbywiki.com/tiki-index.php?pa ... in+in+Diet

But if feeding any form of shell fish always at least steam them prior to offering due to shell disease.

There are also other forms of chitin too...
http://hermitcrabcuisine.com/blog5.php/chitin/

but always recommended to give the 'insect/shell fish' type of chitin too to help prevent cannibalism.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

rmbrmb
Zygote
Zygote

Post by rmbrmb »

I know about meats. I was just naming some things off. Today we had tolpia, and I set a bit aside for my crabbies
My crew:

Rip:
Splash
Squrit
Dead and missed!