Is my crab dead?

Questions about unexpected problems.
deb1430
Zygote
Zygote

Is my crab dead?

Post by deb1430 »

I found my crab outside of its shell and it's not moving. I fear it might be dead...I looked inside the shell and I see no indication that it is just molting. How do I know for sure if my crab is really dead or not?
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

Welcome to the HCP forum!

Does the naked crab body have an abdomen attached? If it does, it may be dead. Does it smell fishy?
Wai
deb1430
Zygote
Zygote

Post by deb1430 »

I'm so sad, yes everything is attached. I had Sebastian for 2 years now, so it's like losing a kid. Yeah he's definately dead. I dont know how could that have happened he was running around fine yesterday. All of his claws are still attached so he didn't show a sign of stress.
I also checked his body and there aren't any mites so his death is still a mystery to me.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

It's sad to lose a hermie, and two years!? I'd cry my head off...
Wai
Marie
Zygote
Zygote

I thinl mine is dead 2

Post by Marie »

Supra hasnt been really moving around since thursday night, i place fresh vegies and fruit new water and sprinked him with some to but he just seems to be so dorsel..He half out of his shell my sister said it cause it been quite hot.. but he seems to have a greeny colour half ways down his back.. his not moving at all now so i dunt noe if his dead or not..and his stiff ^) :'(

what should I do?
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

Does Supra fall out of his shell when you pick him up? If he does, he may be dead, unless the body is hollow he has molted.
Wai
Marie
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Marie »

Nopies supra butt stays in his shell wen u lift him up so it looks like his flying and dosnt fall out, i kept waking up to check on him last night but he hadnt moved from his spot all night and hes tenticals havent been moving either..
ayianna
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by ayianna »

I know this is a bit late, but a green color would indicate mold...either your tank is very high humidity and the mold grows quickly or he's been there longer than you thought...