Hermit crab is out of shell

Questions about unexpected problems.
rcowman
Zygote
Zygote

Hermit crab is out of shell

Post by rcowman »

Hi,

We came home yesterday and our newest hermit crab was upside down, and out of his shell. I have never seen a crab molt, but it does not seem to be in the process of molting. He has been less active for the past 4-5 days. We have only had him since Easter. When we purchased him we thought he was too large for his shell. We expected him to move soon. He was batting our other crab around, I believe he wanted his shell, which was also too small. He is a fairyly large crab. He still moves a little and is standing up sometimes with his tail in the air he walks around but only a few inches (2-4" total). Color looks good he is moving his small shell holding legs. He has about 6 different lightweight shells to choose from. How can we keep him alive!
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

Please read the post

[ link expired ]
Wai
ayianna
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by ayianna »

I do not feel that the link to the post was adequate. Glasses do not always work and the crab may die from stress and other conditions if left that way. I have had crabs on a few occassions leave their shells and go to strange places, like underneath a log, inside a barnacle, or even use a small toy as their temporary home. It is important to isolate this crab, provide it with a great many shells, food, and water, put the isolation unit in a dark place and keep the humidity level high so the crab does not dry out. In most cases, a crab without a shell dies of stress or dehydration.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

Whoops... forgot to say to isolate the crab in a separate tank :(. Make sure you isolate the crab.
Wai