Interesting food hermies go CHIRP for!!

Questions about food and water.
I_love_my_hermie23
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by I_love_my_hermie23 »

Is it bad to feed chips to hermie i thougth that it was but my friend asked cuz she has a hermie too n she think its ok to feed them it But i said no cuz chips have self n Chips with cheese are dairy
\from ur friend
-b-
r.i.p.-*boo* 11/11/06
hermiesrokmysox
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 7

Post by hermiesrokmysox »

i thin they should be safe as long as the blue color is natural. just as long as there is no perservative or chemicals it's okay. (and no iodized salt!!!)
♥Hollywood♥LittleRed♥Qwerty♥Peanut♥Sprite♥Pip♥Paisly
http://hermielog2008.blogspot.com/
hey, im back. :)
I_love_my_hermie23
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by I_love_my_hermie23 »

*Cat Food (yup, hermies LOVE it!!)
Is any kind of cat food good? My cat have a indoor Formula Cat food can i feed them that or not?
\from ur friend
-b-
r.i.p.-*boo* 11/11/06
Hermies4Ever
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by Hermies4Ever »

I would say yeah try it
hawkfan9
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 0

Re: Interesting food hermies go CHIRP for!!

Post by hawkfan9 »

I would like to disagree with lots of this stuff people have been saying. First, I read and have studied whether dairy priducts are ok for the hermit crabs; i read that they are ok. so i decided to test it. so for the past 12 weeks. i have been giving my hermies a slice of organic sharp cheddar cheese every monday wednesday and sat. there have been no deaths. and my crabs are actually more active then what they were before. they also seem 2 love the cheese. they flock 2 the cheese once i put it in thier. its like children running 2 the "ice cream man" when he drives around in his truck playing that annoying song. lol. but this is just my tests and would not want any1 yelling at me for trying this. it has worked with no deaths. i will continue to feed my hermies this form of dairy.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

The dairy test has been done already. You can find it http://hermitcrabaddiction.net/forum/in ... topic=98.0 (you need to be a member at the addiction forum to see it, but it's an interesting read.

As for the chips, you need to be careful because of the various flavorings and chemical additives. Fried anything isn't all that healthy for us, let alone crabs. The way it was explained to me is that your crabs don't eat very much food, so you need to make sure that when they do eat it's the healthiest stuff possible.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

Wow lots of great ideas for food here!

I read in my perusal of the web for hermit crab info that a study discovered that hermit crabs don't like to eat the same thing two meals in a row so to speak. So it's a good idea to really mix up what you feed them. I did notice that when I gave mine a banana and some tomato one day, the next day they didn't touch the banana and tomato (freshly replaced). So when I ran across that tidbit of info, it made sense.
They are picky eaters as a wide variety of nutrients are very important in their diet, and the only way to get them all is to eat a wide variety of foods.
I think feeding my hermit crabs is one of the most fun things about having them :)
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

Hermies remember (so to speak) what they ate for up to a week, believe it or not. If you think about them, though, it makes sense - it ensures that they get a wide variety of nutrients instead of just pigging out on one highly available food. However, it can make it tricky to feed them if you have a small selection of foods to choose from.

I'm currently trying some navel oranges I bought from a roadside stand...I am dehydrating them and some strawberries I bought and I gave one of the end pieces to the crabs...no one has touched it yet, but they usually wait to move around a bunch until after I've gone to bed and the light's out.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
AceofCrabs
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1

Post by AceofCrabs »

My hermies love this. So get Strawberries, Blue Berries, and Banana's. Mush them up together until they are mushy like the banana. Then make little squares and put about 1 for each hermie in the tank and my guys GO CRAZT for it!
Hermie's rule
Zoea IV
Zoea IV
Hermit crabs: 3

Re:

Post by Hermie's rule »

I_love_my_hermie23 wrote:
*Cat Food (yup, hermies LOVE it!!)
Is any kind of cat food good? My cat have a indoor Formula Cat food can i feed them that or not?
Catfood isn't even good for cats. They use all these by products and corn meal as a food filler...stuff like that. Take a look at the catfood label and then google every one of those ingrediants. You'll be suprised by what's in that food. ( I don't mean chemicals, I mean food fillers) Catfood is meant for cats, not crabs. You don't want to risk giving the crabs tainted catfood (remember the recent dog/cat food recalls)