How do I remove the Paint on my Hermit crabs Shells?

Questions about designing a terrarium.
erikleeson
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 0

Re: How do I remove the Paint on my Hermit crabs Shells?

Post by erikleeson »

I boil the shells in tap water on medium heat for 15 minutes. Then I peel it off with my nails or a nail filer. Then I let the shells sit overnight in a tub of saltwater and I put salt water in the shells and drop em in the tank and the crabs check them out.
ERIK LEESON

These are currently living in a better home...
Zeke+Finnigan+Wesker+Mendez+Xavi+Garth+Zoidberg+Gomez+Gilbert+Bobo+Luther
SEE THEM HERE

Need help? I'm on here lots so PM me for any questions you need answered!

thegatti
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Post by thegatti »

I might try using the nail file. It's my third day trying to chip off the paint. I've been using hot water to loosen the paint. It is coming off, just very slowly.
blondy627
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Post by blondy627 »

I am not having luck with boiling the paint off, but I found another trick. I have one of those as seen on tv nail dremmels. I VERY carefully use that to grind the paint off. You need to do this with great care on thinner shells. I learned that with trial and error... had to throw my first shell out because I filed it too thin and it got a small hole. I also reccomend wearing a mask and goggles for this method because the paint flies!
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

This is also on CrabbyWiki with a warning about the dremel and other paint removal processes. Shell dust is harmful to the human lungs so one does need to take precautions.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
hermiesman80
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

Post by hermiesman80 »

I did it right and got a beautiful shell with a green stripe pattern XD ,and when my hermie saw it he went nuts! He moved from his old turbo into this new cleansed shell which was also a turbo!I watched him crawl around a while before he went to sleep,he seemed incredibly active.
MomofFive
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 15
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 3

Post by MomofFive »

ladybug15057 wrote:This is also on CrabbyWiki with a warning about the dremel and other paint removal processes. Shell dust is harmful to the human lungs so one does need to take precautions.
I have been making shell jewelry for a while. A Dremel is my main tool. Always, always, always wear a mask!!! Breathing that stuff in is no fun!
If you do take the Dremel to the shell, do it in a well aired area, cover up everything around you, or do it like me... on the porch or in the screen house!
Shell dust is a pain to clean!
15 Purple Pinchers, 1 Doberman Pincher (female), 1 Albino California King Snake, 1 Boa Constrictor Imperator and 6 Homo Sapiens (1 adult male called Hubby (33) and 5 of his offspring (3 males and 2 females)