About those blueberries I talked about earlier.....

Questions about identifying the differences between species.
Akai
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 12
Total gallons: 60
Total tanks: 2

Re: New to this Forum!

Post by Akai »

Hi vckums! :)
Home to:
6 PPs:Bjorn, Geoff, Amos, Sam, Milo and Henry
2 Straws:Io and Callisto
4 Es:Odaiba, Hokkaido, Iriomote, and Osaka
Foxydiva3
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 27
Total gallons: 65

Post by Foxydiva3 »

Hello Welcome! I am Now Curious about these Blue Berry Hermit crabs, I Have never heard of them or seen a Picture of them. Can Someone Direct me to a website where I can see one thanks! Now I Am Intrigued! :D :D :D
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

Blueberry = Coenobita purpureus

There are many photos of C. purpureus in our Gallery.
Wai
Foxydiva3
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 27
Total gallons: 65

Post by Foxydiva3 »

Thanx! They are indeed Beautifull. I will look forward to seeing them in person :D
Akai
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 12
Total gallons: 60

About those blueberries I talked about earlier.....

Post by Akai »

He's in Delaware and knows his stuff.
Anonymous wrote:A new online store has come online, with a tremendous variety of species. I have been speaking with the owner - he is very knowledgeable and has been a hermit crab enthusiast for decades. From what he describes he takes excellent care of the animals and treats then as his own, not simply warehousing them until selling them. There are some really interesting things on his website.
This anonymous is actually a person from another forums. :)

http://www.exoticlandhermitcrabs.com

Let me warn you, those prices are high! :S
Also, they hermits aren't in stalk yet. :(
Home to:
6 PPs:Bjorn, Geoff, Amos, Sam, Milo and Henry
2 Straws:Io and Callisto
4 Es:Odaiba, Hokkaido, Iriomote, and Osaka
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Re: About those blueberries I talked about earlier.....

Post by CrabbyJo »

Thanks for the info Akai, sounds more like "Anonymous" may be the owner of that very website, and is posting to try to drum up interest. Anyone who posts as "anonymous" strikes me as not being legitimate.
I personally feel that's a little sneaky and underhanded, I'd much rather see the person be up front rather than try to mislead, which makes me distrust them right off the bat. That's my personal feelings, though.

I did merge this with your intro thread so people would know what you were talking about when referring back to "about those blueberries" without having to search it up.
I accidentally merged them backwards and gave the old topic the new title though, sorry about that! Still new to this. :)

After browsing his site a little, I'm even more dubious about his "knowledge".
Types of sand include beach sand or playground sand can be purchased at your local hardware store. All sand should be washed before being put in your crabitat. This will take out any impurities or chemicals.
How on earth does washing sand remove CHEMICALS? I'm afraid that's completely wrong.

Also, his crab care section is woefully inadequate. I also find it hard to believe that they wait until their crabs molt before they ship them, as his website claims. How could they suddenly have a bunch of crabs ready the end of this week?
His prices are incredibly high. I can pick up Equadorians (compressus) at my local pet store for just $5 each. He is charging $30 for what I paid $5 for. Plus his shipping charges, I'm sure. Nope, something just doesn't feel right to me, sorry.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

Water will only wash away hydrophilic impurities in the sand, but not hydrophobic substances such as tar.

I'm guessing that the store is based in the USA.
Wai
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

I agree CrabbyJo, something just doesn't seem right and I would proceed with loads of caution if I proceeded at all. (personally, I would not) But interesting none the less, I will try to make time to read through the site.
And yes, Delaware is a state in the United States.

Edited to add too: The reputable hermie sellers will soon no longer be shipping them until spring.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40

Post by emmac350 »

I'm sorry, but $75 for a crab that most likely won't even survive shipping let alone PPS (due to the massive amount of shipping to get it to the US, then to your house) is ridiculous. Utter baloney.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Is this site for real??

http://exoticlandhermitcrabs.com/carts/ ... ae2fc91701

Not to mention we love our Crazy Crabs!!!!! These little Guys are super funny to watch and handle. "Remember the more TLC you give them, the happier they shall be".

If they claim to keep them as their own instead of warehouse style, why is this blueberry shown with a wire cage back ground?
http://exoticlandhermitcrabs.com/carts/ ... ucts_id=51

To click ‘shells’ there is none?
http://exoticlandhermitcrabs.com/carts/ ... p?cPath=23

Their care sheet is a joke, they mention hermies should be warm and humid… but at what temp and humidity %??
Nothing really about the nutrients hermies need to remain healthy, but I guess they do at least mention to feed the hermies!
Anybody else note that most of the photos of sm, med, and lg (including a jumbo) are the SAME picture but only a price difference?
And selling the C variabilis?
http://exoticlandhermitcrabs.com/carts/ ... ucts_id=31

IMO after looking further into the site, It sets flags up all over the place to me!
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.