CrabbyMamma
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Re: Help please :)

Post by CrabbyMamma »

Well I guess if washing and baking it kills the bacteria, the whole point of buying 'live' sand is made redundant anyway, so better to stick with the regular sand. I am glad it will last me a long time, it is not cheap! Though now I have found somewhere that sells eco earth in Australia, I am wondering if I might be better off doing one side of the tank in EE and one in the sand. It might help with humidity a bit - something I am still struggling with.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

You can also try installing a "moss pit" - aquarium moss by zoo med is what I use. I put it into a large plastic corner shower caddy, and the crabs seem to love congregating there. I've even had one molt in it. :)
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
marie197500
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 15

Post by marie197500 »

Hi i need help as well. i brought some hermies from the pet shop yesterday for my son luckily i did not like the plastic tanks they use so got a glass one . The shop set up the tank for me and put a type of crushed shell in the bottom i have been out looking for sand today but in the two petshops i came across can only find red sand desert sand or calci sand . I know calci sand is no good but what about the others. i also boughtb a hydrogometer to test humidity and a heat mat . 2 of the hermies are currently burrowed over the heat mat and substrate is not deep?should i move them? Any help would be good I live in Victoria melbourne.

Thanks

Marie
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

Hi Marie, I'm from Victoria too, so you're in luck!

In Springvale South, there is this 'dump' like store called Ideal that sells large quantities of all sorts of things, such as bricks, mulch and sand! Ask for beach sand and they should lead you to these big 20 kg bags sold for only $6.00 each. Their address is 584-590 Springvale Rd (there's a Red Rooster nearby).

I would move the two hermies buried on top of the heat mat down because it can lead to overheating. This is why heat mats should be controlled by a thermostat to reduce (but not completely eliminate) that risk.

A bit off-topic too, but near Ideal is the Australian Pet Superstore; the pet store that once sold strawberry hermit crabs. I called them earlier this year to ask if they had any strawberries and they said they had already ordered them a week ago and would arrive at any time. I checked every now and then, but the strawberries never came so I gave up. If you are curious, you can visit their store. The hermit crabs are kept in one of the cabinets in the reptile section.
Wai
marie197500
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 15

Post by marie197500 »

Hi thanks for that i will try and get over their this afternoon. i moved the hermies but they got up and went straight back. also i have the the hydrgometer in the tank and its reading 60 (so not good) so how ido i bring the level up i have put a glas votive holder in on top of where the heat mat is with bottled water in it and some stones so that they dont get in. I have also put cling wrap over the top of the glas top to try and keep humididty in i have left a gap in one corner. both the salt and food i was given it says on this website not too use so when i go the the shop i will get the right salt i have just put in their bowl some carot melon broccoli and apple is that ok? thanks for all your help and as like the original poster i want them to be happy hermits which at the moment they do not seem to be !!!!!
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

The food should be fine. Try giving them saw raw or lightly cooked meat with no reasoning or added salt (just the meat on its own).
Wai