is my hermit crab moulting?

Questions about hermit crabs moulting and its symptoms.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: is my hermit crab moulting?

Post by ladybug15057 »

I have merged your posts so we can follow the events easier.
The first post you mention you had the hermies for about 2 weeks (it was dated the 20th) and moved them to a 10 gal tank. Again, this is a new environment to them so soon after coming home so they should be permitted more time to destress from the change. Please do answer the below in hopes of us possibly helping you more, and meanwhile please provide the little ones what they need and do leave them be for a while.

What is the volume of your main tank?

How many hermit crabs do you currently have? How big are they?

How long have you had the hermit crab(s) that you are concerned about?

What substrate or combination of substrates are you using? How deep is it?

What do you feed your hermit crabs?

Do you use distilled, bottled or tap water? If you are using a dechlorinator, what brand is it? Does it state to remove all heavy metals, chlorine and chloramines?

What brand of sea salt are you using to supply your hermit crabs with salt water?

What heat source are you using and where is it positioned?

Have you calibrated your thermometer(s) and hygrometer?

What is the air temperature range and humidity inside the tank? If you are using an under tank heater, what is the temperature range of the substrate (it is likely to be different to the air temperature range)?

Do you have any photos of your tank or hermit crab(s) of concern? If yes, please attach them to your post.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
x0xm0lly
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 0
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 0

Post by x0xm0lly »

my main tank is 20 x 10 x 12. its 10 gallons

2 hermits, medium sized

since the 10th of august

i am using beach sand from the cape cod sifted. its about 3 inches

popcorn, cheerios, coconut

Do you use distilled, bottled or tap water? If you are using a dechlorinator, what brand is it? Does it state to remove all heavy metals, chlorine and chloramines?

i use tap water but i use a dechlorinator from petco called zoo med instant drinking water conditioner
What brand of sea salt are you using to supply your hermit crabs with salt water?
zoomed and its likea liquid thing you squirt in

its a heating pad for reptiles. its on the farthest left side of the tank

yes.

What is the air temperature range and humidity inside the tank? If you are using an under tank heater, what is the temperature range of the substrate (it is likely to be different to the air temperature range)?
air temp is 76 degrees and humidity is about 78 percent

Do you have any photos of your tank or hermit crab(s) of concern? If yes, please attach them to your post.
hermitcrabs :)
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 2

Is she dead?

Post by hermitcrabs :) »

me and my niece have 2 hermit crabs and i was in her room a couple of days ago and noticed that mine was naked in the back corner of the the tank not moving i thought it was surface molting and it hasn't moved sense. her crab is trying to get to in by digging under the toy he is behind and there isn't really a fishy smell in there and i don't want hers to be lonely without a friend the heat source broke so we are trying to replace it but it is a normal temperature in the terrarium so i cant figure out what is wrong please help.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

hermitcrabs :)
I have looked through and realize you have posted a couple times about your hermie molting, but have not completed the questions that are asked for when asking for help. Please do complete the questions below so we can get a better idea of the situation. I noticed you mentioned about your heat source, and U.S. has been having some very cold weather recently. You must get a heating source ASAP.

Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
CoolBlue
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 11

Post by CoolBlue »

one of my hermit crabs has been digging for the past 15 hours. He is going down then up, then down and up, etc. I just purchased him yesterday pre-molt?

10 gallons

5 small pp's

1 day

He is digging in about 4.5 inches of sand.

Lettuce, chicken, carrots, and other greens. (all certified healthy by hermitcrabcuisine.com)

Distilled.

Instant Ocean

Zoo Med 10-20 gallon UTH, under the tank.

Yes.

75 Fahrenheit in the ISO tank, 85% humidity.(where the crab is.)
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

Your crab is behaving perfectly normally for being in a new home. Don't pick him up for at least two weeks, and try not to disturb him too much. He needs time to destress. Make sure he's got a temperature range in the tank - a warmer and and a cooler end - and take the temperature of the substrate over the UTH to make sure it's not too hot. A crab will "cook" himself over a UTH and not even realize he's done it.

Don't worry, enjoy his activity because he will have periods of extreme quiet too and you'll begin to wonder what's gotten into him! ;)

Good luck!
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

one of my hermit crabs has been digging for the past 15 hours. He is going down then up, then down and up, etc. I just purchased him yesterday pre-molt?
Being he is so new it is hard to say what maybe going on with the molting, but one thing for certain is Post Purchase Stress. He should be in an iso tank with perimeters close to what they were at the pet store. Time to slowly adjust to proper conditions, offered loads of shells as well as plenty of nutritional foods to help him de-stress. New hermies should not be able to burrow, but be offered a hut for shelter if they need it.
He is digging in about 4.5 inches of sand.
What type of sand? Play sand, calsi sand, aragonite? And the sand should not even be about an inch. Read above.
Lettuce, chicken, carrots, and other greens. (all certified healthy by hermitcrabcuisine.com)
But if you look at your foods, a few of the hermie ‘pyramid’ foods are missing? They should have a food from each food group, but a wide variety of them. They are known not to eat the same food for a week or longer.

75 Fahrenheit in the ISO tank, 85% humidity.(where the crab is.)

He is in iso? (I mentioned this above, it wasn’t mentioned in your reply) But you mention your iso tank is a 1 gal? (on the adopter profile that is to be completed by those 18 years and older) He does need to be helped adjusting per the PPS article. 85% for a humidity level in such a small area is way too high for a new hermie. And on the profile a temp of 80*F for the iso? And you mentioned an UTH rated for a 10-20 gal tank here in the questions?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

CoolBlue
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 11

Post by CoolBlue »

Thanks for the help, I don't use a 10-20 gallon heater on the ISO tank, I use a KK heater. I will lower the humidity. I also just started using a recipe from crabbytalk.com. Also, the crab didn't come up in the night to eat or drink.