semi-new with exotics moulting.

Questions about hermit crabs moulting and its symptoms.
hermie_lover3542
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 17
Total gallons: 84
Total tanks: 5

My Strawberry is Having his First Molt

Post by hermie_lover3542 »

My jumbo strawberry Bulldozer is having his 1st molt today. I fpund him by accident when I was cleaning the habitat. He just had shedded his skin when I found him, infact the exo was still completely in contact when I found him. But now he is in a nice comfy iso. I can't wait to see how beautiful and bright he is when he comes up! :)
*~-proud hermie mommy of 15-~*
They are Hermie the 2nd(medium pp), T.J.(medium pp), Big Daddy(large pp), Tank(Jumbo pp), Pearl(large pp), DigDug(medium pp), Freaky Fred(small pp),courage(Medium pp), Strawberry Shortcake(small pp), Tiny Timantha(tiny pp), T-rex(giant Indo), Bruce(medium strawberry), Autumn(medium blueberry), and Hor-Hay(medium blueberry).
hermie_lover3542
Zoea II
Zoea II

semi-new with exotics moulting.

Hi everyone, I am semi-new with exotics moulting(successful with both blueberries). But the other day when I was cleaning the tank, I accidently uncovered my jumbo strawberry, Bulldozer. He had to of just moulted in the last hour because his exo was untouched and he was still "squishy" or "soft". So of course I placed him in a "temporary" iso because my crabs were in the main one(where I put them if I have no other place). So he was in a critter carrier with his exo and 6" of EE.
Well yesterday I placed him back into the main moulting tank with better conditions. It is a 10 gallon, with 4 1/2 in. of sand, a hidey, 2 water dishes cuttle bone, plastic wrap covered screen lid, heating pad, and a heat lamp. But I also noticed he still hasn't touched his exo, and he was like a dark blood red color. Is this normal? I am kind of worried about him though, but I never had a straw moult until now. I have read somewhere on here I think that jumbos like him will take a couple days to rest before eating their exo, is this true? Also will he need different conditions as far as humidity and tempurature goes? I did check everthing in the care section, but it didn't answer all of my questions :(

-Thanks Hermie_lover3542
They are Hermie the 2nd(medium pp), T.J.(medium pp), Big Daddy(large pp), Tank(Jumbo pp), Pearl(large pp), DigDug(medium pp), Freaky Fred(small pp),courage(Medium pp), Strawberry Shortcake(small pp), Tiny Timantha(tiny pp), T-rex(giant Indo), Bruce(medium strawberry), Autumn(medium blueberry), and Hor-Hay(medium blueberry).
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: semi-new with exotics moulting.

Post by ladybug15057 »

Straws are sensitive and I would like to suggest to leave him be now. You have covered him and his exo with the hut in the other main iso tank? Make sure the hut is tall enough that he can lift himself out to eat his exo without the top of his shell hitting the roof of his hut. This could cause the legs to become a little deformed due to how soft he is.
As for the beet read coloring, IMO this is quite normal for a freshly molted straw!

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x276 ... molted.jpg

I was a bit shocked myself the first time I saw a straws molted coloring!
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
hermie_lover3542
Zoea II
Zoea II

Thanks ladybug, hes able to move in his hut, it's a plastic flower pot that I had. What about him resting for a couple days before eating, is this true?
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Yep, that is what normally happens here and they eat less of their legs than the other species I have
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
hermie_lover3542
Zoea II
Zoea II

thank you so much ladybug i was so worried *|
Andee
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 13
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 1

Strawberries and taking care of them

Post by Andee »

Sorry if this is in the wrong board... had no idea where to put it XD:

I ordered a new Ecuadorian Hermit Crab rom my Local Pet Shop. For some reason their supplier screwed up the order and sent a Strawberry instead. They asked if I would take her still and I couldn't say no when I went in and saw her beautiful red colors. So now I am the proud carer of Crim/Crimson the Strawberry hermie. Except there is one problem, I know they are more sensitive to things, I was wondering how sensitive and if I should do anything special for her?

I also wanted to know how big she is going to get, just out of curiousity? I would get a picture of her but as we know my camera sucks and she is very shy since I just got her, she's about the size of a half-dollar. Can't believe how beautiful she is. I can't wait for her to change shells, she is waaay to big for the shell she is in now and it's chipped. I hope to get pics soon.
40 gallon with 13 hermit crabs- 11 PPs, 1 E, 1 Straw

My Blog: http://crabbingadventures.wordpress.com
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

I merged your post with one regarding strawberry's, but I would also strongly suggest to type in "Strawberry care" in the search bar in the upper right corner, many posts regarding this...
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

Andee
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 13
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 1

Post by Andee »

Totally forgot about the search engine XD I swear I am so absent minded, though I did get a lot of info from it 8D
40 gallon with 13 hermit crabs- 11 PPs, 1 E, 1 Straw

My Blog: http://crabbingadventures.wordpress.com