First molt.. Just had to be a surprise surface one!!!

Questions about hermit crabs moulting and its symptoms.
Mim
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 1

First molt.. Just had to be a surprise surface one!!!

Post by Mim »

Hi all,
Going through my first ever molt... A bit of a surprise because he was still up and about until Saturday!! Went to feed & tidy tank (they just love to spread food EVERYWHERE!!!)
Went to move Fred and freaked!! I was not expecting to see pincers etc.. I have been watching them and looking for signs... Nothing!! Thought he had dropped limbs.. Was only a few minutes ago that I checked him.. Thinking he was dying.. But was very happy to see he was eating his skeleton..
I have placed a bowl over him so the other 4 will leave him alone.. (as I said.. I noticed too late to swap tanks..) I can't darken the tank for now after a heat mat blow out.. Am relying on a light to keep the tank warm.. It's working a treat temp wise.. The humidity seems fine.. I have left him with cuttlefish & will take other crabs out tomorrow so he can have some water etc.. (need to set up the tank & make another lamp for them..)
Have I forgotten to do anything?? don't want to loose another one!!
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Re: First molt.. Just had to be a surprise surface one!!!

Post by CrabbyJo »

Make sure he's got food and water available to him (both marine and fresh water, he will need both). If you can section him off and give him a hidey, that will probably be better than a bowl over the top of him. Remember, a determined crab can easily dig under the substrate to get to the inside of that upside down bowl.
You may be able to use a piece of glass from a picture frame (make sure you are certain there are no crabs under the substrate when you do this, or that you know where they are) or the plastic jewel case (or two) from a CD to section the crab off, pushing them down into the substrate to create a barrier. You can put the waters in plastic bottle caps (like those on 2 liter bottles, or even 20oz bottles) and check often if they need to be refilled.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
Mim
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by Mim »

Thanks for the advice!! Poor little guy... Worried about him... Can't half tell I'm new to this!! Lol
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Congratulations on your molt! New...or not, it still sort of has my heart go in my throat when I find a molter. They look so dead, and yet when only 1/2 of them show... a sigh of relief follows shortly afterward.
The bowl you used, does it have holes in it for humidity and to let air within it? Is it pushed to the bottom of the tanks floor? If not, do you happen to have a plastic margarine bowl you can use? (not sure if Aus. has these like the U.S.?) As suggested a cap full of fresh and ocean water within the bowl area, food not so relevant right now because he needs to eat his exo.
I wouldn't worry too much about the light situation either. As long as you provide a night/day cycle for your main tank he should be fine. Hermies are said to only need the total darkness when in premolt for their 'hormones'.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Mim
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by Mim »

So far so good!!!! He's all snuggled up... Has both waters... Also left him some cuttlefish for a boost if he needs... He is a bit more mobile... Seems his moult won't last too long... Will just take it day by day I guess...
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Seems surface molters do not take as long to recover as those who burrow. Some crabbers who have had surface molters as well as those who burrow have documented as such. I know here normally within a week they are scooting about... on occasions the Jumbo's may take a couple extra days.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Mim
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by Mim »

He finally moved!! Lol
Will leave him in the container for another day or 2 then see how he is..
Thanks for all the help guys!! Xo
Mim
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by Mim »

Oh dear... He is a little confused & now thinks his new shell is the little water dish I had for him!!! Have popped him into a separate tank with 2 shells... Hopefully he will change his mind!!! :-/