might have a surface molter

Questions about hermit crabs moulting and its symptoms.
arhoads
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 3

might have a surface molter

Post by arhoads »

Uther, the large PP I got a week ago might be surface molting. I'm really not sure what is going on with him. Last night my husband suggested that I put a larger shell near him since he clearly needs to change his. I did and learned really far out of the shell, I was excited, I thought he would change but no. He sat in the same position all night until about midnight I thought maybe he was molting and put a coc hut over him. This morning he is still in the same position but a leg fell off, the entire leg not just the exoskeleton. He isn't moving at all and I'm not sure if he's dead. My question is, how long will it take for his exoskeleton to shed if he is surface molting? I still have a few days to take him and exchange him if he is dead but I want to be sure first!!
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: might have a surface molter

Post by Wai »

Dropping a whole leg is not good news, suggesting he may be stressed and unwell. Treat as for lost limbs in the Crab Care guidelines.
Wai
arhoads
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 3

Post by arhoads »

Thanks for your reply Wai. Unfortunately Uther died. I'm really bummed because I thought I was his best chance and he still didn't make it. My other crabs are all down to molt so I hope everything goes well with them
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

As opposed to being in the pet store, you were by far his best chance at surviving. Please rest assured knowing that he was made comfortable and knew love his last days on earth.
I am so sorry for your loss. :(
Sympathies,
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.