Adopting A Friend's Hermit!

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 69
Total tanks: 3

Adopting A Friend's Hermit!

Post by POPPIT »

Hi All.....My friend has had 2(Maybe 1 as we are pretty sure one has died deep inside its shell and it really doesnt look alive) medium sized crabs for about 4-5months now but has asked me to take them off her hands....I have some questions about adjustment.....The pet store supplied her with a tiny glass tank probably not big enough for 1 grab....she has been limited with the size of water dish she can put in there and i havent really had a good look at her setup....Anyway my main worry is temp and humidity....She has no heat source except for the heating inside her house and i think she doesnt have humidity except for fresh water(this may be tap water or bottled water)....I have setup my iso tank with fresh play sand, water dishes, food dish, and igloo and a few small plants....I didnt have a spare heat source so i have placed one side of the iso tank up against one of my main tanks heat pads(4watt) and the temp on the hot wall in the iso is now reading 24-25 C i havent checked the far wall for a cool temp yet though, is this an ok starting temp for crabs not use to heat to adjust before adding them into my main tank with my other crabs and should i mist the iso even though they are not use to humidity/misting?....I am getting her crabs tonight....How will they adjust from my iso tank to the main in a week or so....My main tank current temp/humidity is=Today with 2x4watt heat pads and red infrared bulb is Cool end 73F(75F with uva bulb) humidity maxed 100%(Location is low down close to the salt water pool) Warm end 83-84F(90F with uva bulb) humidity 64%(Location above heat pad 2/3 up the tank near the top) Substrate 76-77F humidity 84%(Location warm side in front of the dome home)
GitaBooks
Zygote
Zygote

Re: Adopting A Friend's Hermit!

Post by GitaBooks »

I'm glad you are helping out those crabs.

Sorry it took so long to respond. How are they doing?
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 60

Post by Ginger »

Hi Poppit, I'm also sorry for the late reply - I've been seriously busy lately. It may be a little too late to answer your questions, but your setup sounds/sounded fine. Generally crabbers take one of two options - one is where you set the tank up according the how it had been in the crabs previous homes, gradually increasing the temperature and humidity to the correct amounts over a period of time. The second option involves basically what you did - to put them straight into a good environment. I prefer the latter as I think that they have already coped with so much stress that the stress of being put into a better environment will be overridden by the.... Goodness of it :)
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

Hi....i had Gonzo in an iso tank for 1 week and added humidity after the second day...i did have temp problems towards the end of the week though....He has been in the main tank for a bit now and while at first i was worried about fighting all seems good now...Chakotay(the leader)got a bit agitated and did confront him with a leg pushing fight but his pincher never tried to grab legs or eyeballs so i figured it wasn't too serious...Gonzo seems to be doing well as he eats, swims/drinks and explores...Unfortunately my friends second crab had already died deep inside his shell when i picked them up....Hopefully i can care for them all properly...This Sunday will be 3mnths since i bought Chakotay, Tuvok and Neelix and on Monday will be 2mnths since i bought my girl crab whom i decided to call Seven.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by Ginger »

What you did sounds good Poppit, the only thing I would suggest is introducing the crabs outside of the tank in a safe open-top enclosure where you can monitor them for a bit (give ALL have had a quick dip in saltwater.) This means they all are on a neutral level - no territories or odd smells are involved. Another option is to just switch around some of the decor in the tank so these territories need to be reformed.

Gonzo looks pretty perky!
Thanks, Ginger.
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

Lol i always knew about introducing dogs on neutral ground but never thought about that for crabs (which can be territorial)...When i put my girl Seven in and Gonzo into the main tank i put them into the salt pool first off....Gonzo does seem like he is doing well....Thanks for that info.
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by Ginger »

Your welcome - hope he continue to settle in nicely.