How long before your crabs were used to you?

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

How long before your crabs were used to you?

Post by CrabbyJo »

So, I went in today before 6pm and there was Barnaby, munching on the fresh banana slice I'd slipped in a couple hours earlier! I startled him and he pulled into his shell, then after less than a minute he crept around to hide in the half log. He didn't pull into his shell under there, but I know he was just being cautious. I know it will take some time before he feels confident enough to come out when there is movement and people watching, I'm excited that he is coming out this much as it is lol which isn't much! We've had him a month now, but with a lot of tank changes in his tank, like substrate and new toys and a different water bowl and things. I also realized we haven't been pulling open the bedroom curtains to really let a lot of daylight in, so I did that today too.

So I thought I'd ask everyone, how long did it take for YOUR hermit crabs to get comfy enough to stay out and do their business and ignore you watching them? I bet you had some personalities that took to it fast and others who maybe took tons longer.

Share your stories with me, I'm very curious!
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: How long before your crabs were used to you?

Post by emmac350 »

I've had Rack and Benny since this past September, and they are still really cautious...and the new Es are still cautious almost a month later. It's part of our pet choice, they'll always be somewhat cautious, I think.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
klbroad
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 18
Total gallons: 75
Total tanks: 1

Post by klbroad »

I have a crab, Church, that has only been with us for 2 weeks, but already couldn't give a rat was is going on outside of his tank - he is always out and about, climbing, eating and swimming. I can sometimes even change food and restack climing logs and he hardly even blinks. I am not sure if he is super comfortable, super brave or super stupid. Whatever he is, it is a blast to have him around - takes away from some of the tedium of having 11 newbies at one time that I have to leave alone!
Lady Penelope, D-Dub, Stream, Bakugan, Spongebob, Willie Randolph, Luis, Church, Urlacher, Beltran, Jose, Forte, Wagner, Delgado, MJ, Pippen, Pikachu and Pricilla Queen of the Desert.
deathbatbabe6661
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 3

Post by deathbatbabe6661 »

ive had mine for 3 days and they have been used to me since day 1,but the lady who had them before had them for years and years so..
~*Miko,Malibu,Mr.Finger,&Pedro<3*~

RIP:krabby,hermy,mr.krabs,mrs.krabs,piwi hermit.Spanky,pipa
Mr.Crab
Megalopa
Megalopa

Post by Mr.Crab »

I don't really think they'll get used to your but more addapted to there conditions / surroundings. they will always be scared when they get scared.
!!! pictures of my medium pp (take a look and plz comment)
http://hermitcrabparadise.com/forums/vi ... 911#p17911

[[NO PAINTED SHELLS, PAINTED SHELLS ARE TOXIC!!]]
[[PLEASE, ONLY BUY NATURAL SHELLS, WITH NO FINISHES OR SHINES. OR CLEAR COATS!!]]
deathbatbabe6661
Zoea II
Zoea II

idk my hermies seem so happy when i pick them up they come out of there shells,, and it kind seems like there hugging my hand 8| but i love them there my babies #D

deathbatbabe6661
Zoea II
Zoea II

my crabs are kinda..idk clingy..i take them out and there crawlin all over me,and wont go anywhere else, but i put them back in the tank they go to the front of the tank and kinda just...sit there...like a puppy in a window at a petstore 8| lol :D

pookie_spike09
Zoea I
Zoea I
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 0

Post by pookie_spike09 »

deathbatbabe6661 wrote:my crabs are kinda..idk clingy..i take them out and there crawlin all over me,and wont go anywhere else, but i put them back in the tank they go to the front of the tank and kinda just...sit there...like a puppy in a window at a petstore 8| lol :D
oh thats so cute when my hermit crab does that.. so i just take him out again ;)
i love crabbys-mooseloveher
RIP pookie RIP spike RIP leonardo
catch me on my email- liz_pink97@yahoo.com
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

I haven't handled my crabs a lot, other than picking them up and moving them by their shell, or holding them by their shell to get pics. I did let Barnaby walk on me once, but he almost went right off the edge of my hand, and well the dog was really interested and I was getting stressed so I put my other hand under that hand but Barnaby didn't like that and backed up onto the hand he was originally on, and by then I had him back to the tank and I put him in.
To be honest, it felt a lot stranger having him walking on me than I expected! I have had them walk right off the edge of my hand and fall, so i'm kind of worried about holding them unless it's quiet and I'm undisturbed by cats or the dog. Yes, I'm a little nervous lol. I made the mistake of watching a Youtube video on "how to hold hermit crabs" and the woman mentioned that when they pinch, and it DOES hurt (she stressed DOES), run them under warm water."
Since she mentioned a startle or a possible dropping them off your hand could trigger a big pincher grab, now I"m all wiggy about it and i feel embarrassed like a little kid lol.
So reassure me, I am determined to get over this fear because I do so want to pick up and hold my hermies. Barnaby is so darn cute, and has such a neat personality, I want to get to know him better!

BTW, thanks for this forum, you have no idea, NOBODY wants to hear about my pet hermit crabs! lol. Cept maybe my mom, but even her patience is thin hahaha. Girl at work totally did not respond when I even mentioned them. Other girl thinks they are too much like spiders and creepy hehe.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
deathbatbabe6661
Zoea II
Zoea II

aww...just kinda stretch you hand, and they wont have much to grab on to...even put them in a large tupperwear dish and watch them run around :D you will get used to them dont worry...i used to be terrified of mine! now i could fall asleep with them....but like you i have cats and dogs haha