do hermit crabs......poo

Questions about the body parts of a hermit crab.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: do hermit crabs......poo

Post by ladybug15057 »

I have not heard of a hermie having diarrhea. The hermies here poo looks like the sausage type pictures, but a nice coffee brown. :) Depending on the hermies size, depends on the 'sausage' size. ;)

O/T
ok...sorry i have horrible spelling
As explained in pm, if you proof read your posts, you will see under misspelled words a light reddish colored line. Right click that word and a list of spelling options pops up, pick the word you are wanting to use.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Hermie's rule
Zoea IV
Zoea IV
Hermit crabs: 3

Post by Hermie's rule »

Oh! Thanks so much as I needed that! :D Back on topic...
HermieLove19
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 19
Total gallons: 70
Total tanks: 2

Post by HermieLove19 »

In the early, inexperienced stage of my crabbing I used to offer calci-sand as one of the hermie calcium supplements. I gave them pink sand and I found pink poo all over the tank. I think they make glow in the dark cali-sand, (doesn't sound too safe to me) but my guess is it would make the poo glow in the dark.
Kerri :)
Fozzy+Bloo+George+Richard+Tabitha+Mr.Krabz+Sandy+Eugene+Tigery
Gumby+Philip+Nameless+Breuer+KVD+Sonya+Patchie+Patrick+2 adopted hermies

Rufus Shawn
deathbatbabe6661
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by deathbatbabe6661 »

i remember when i was little i had purple sand for my hermies and they turned purple.... 8|
~*Miko,Malibu,Mr.Finger,&Pedro<3*~

RIP:krabby,hermy,mr.krabs,mrs.krabs,piwi hermit.Spanky,pipa
Hermie's rule
Zoea IV
Zoea IV

Post by Hermie's rule »

The hermies or the poo?
deathbatbabe6661
Zoea II
Zoea II

Hermie's rule wrote:The hermies or the poo?
the hermies...it wasnt like PP purple it was a verry unnatural purple, that was obviously from the sand

emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

That is why we do not recommend that people use colored sands for their crabs...without a detailed list of everything in the sand, it isn't worth the risk to your hermies.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
deathbatbabe6661
Zoea II
Zoea II

emmac350 wrote:That is why we do not recommend that people use colored sands for their crabs...without a detailed list of everything in the sand, it isn't worth the risk to your hermies.
yup..i never use it... they even have horrible scented sand.

ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

A few years ago I remember some crabbers writing that their hermies were changing colors depending on the color of sand they use. This also at times showed in their poo, that means the hermies were also eating the sand. (natural thing for hermies to do, eat the substrate and why substrate is SO important to be a hermie safe one) But I did a few calls and e-mails a few years ago about the coloring in the sands, at one time I myself used the Estes Blue Ultra reef marine sand. Come to find that some of the colorings that are FDA approved for humans.... it is not truly known if they are even human safe much less hermie safe.

http://crabbywiki.com/tiki-index.php?pa ... n+the+dark

In the one article, what REALLY stood out to me is:

"Absolute safety of any substance can never be proven. Therefore, FDA must determine if there is a reasonable certainty of no harm from the color additive under its proposed conditions of use."
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
deathbatbabe6661
Zoea II
Zoea II

wow...i think rule of thumb for hermies should be 100% natural sand/shells/food. look how much horror stories we have with hermies being caked to painted shells, and personally a hot pink crab is enough to make me panic,and get some new sand....also i read an article(i don't remember where.) that play sand has ALOT of lead in it, someone had taken a magnet stick and ran it through the sand and came up with metal/led fragments. :( so I'm really confused on choices.