Hehe... 1st topic! ^^

Questions about the body parts of a hermit crab.
Panther_Shadow83
Zygote
Zygote

Hehe... 1st topic! ^^

Post by Panther_Shadow83 »

OK, I have a question... after my hermit crab molted, I noticed on the ends of all her legs there were these sharp little black things, kind of like toenails. What are these? I've heard of them before, so I know there's nothing wrong. Just curious....
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

Don't worry, it's part of their body. Many pet shops cut them off to stop them from poking the customer's hands. It's very cruel.
Wai
deathbatbabe6661
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 3

Re: Hehe... 1st topic! ^^

Post by deathbatbabe6661 »

they did that to my poor hachi.......they even cut his antane!!! why would they do that?!
~*Miko,Malibu,Mr.Finger,&Pedro<3*~

RIP:krabby,hermy,mr.krabs,mrs.krabs,piwi hermit.Spanky,pipa
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

WOW this is an old topic started in 2005?
But usually if a hermie is holding onto something when the poacher is attempting to capture him from the wild, as opposed to waiting for the hermie to let go they will snip the ends of their legs off that are holding on. Their 'capturing' goes much faster that way. :(
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
deathbatbabe6661
Zoea II
Zoea II

that is so sad.....but why would they cut there antena? there like the quarter of the size of what they shoul be, and there even.... :( .....jeez 2005? i didnt see that...hah

ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Considering they are snipping off the tips of the legs to make the capture to go faster, I don't believe they take the time to do precision snipping. They snip and toss into whatever they have to hold the hermies in until they get them to where ever for counting to be paid for them at.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
deathbatbabe6661
Zoea II
Zoea II

ladybug15057 wrote:Considering they are snipping off the tips of the legs to make the capture to go faster, I don't believe they take the time to do precision snipping. They snip and toss into whatever they have to hold the hermies in until they get them to where ever for counting to be paid for them at.
that is so sad. as soon as i turn 16 im gonna work at the same store i got spanky from, and im gonna fix up all the tanks....i'll even edgucate the buyers a little bit..