Questions

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Questions

Post by ladybug15057 »

Not Wai, but the Jungle bedding should be removed ASAP.
Use hermit crab salt or marine salt water to let the Eco Earth soak in?
And CrabbyJo already answered this:
A marine salt water is important, don't use Hermit Crab Salt (this has been stated in the crab care sheets), and use that to expand your eco earth as Wai has said.
Edited to ask:
Hermies are known to pick and try to taste items in the tank. May I ask why is there bubble wrap on the shower caddy?
http://cassie-2009.deviantart.com/#/d38ggz2
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

Marine salt water of course. The list of ideal/blacklisted brands is in the Supplies List. Get the Jungle Bed out as soon as possible.
Wai
.:HermitCrabs:.
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 10

Post by .:HermitCrabs:. »

Okay - I'll remove it soon. I'll stop by PetSmart tomorrow or sometime next week to buy some Eco Earth.

There is plastic wrap because it has holes on the bottom and two deep deep holes on the side. I wanted to prevent them from falling into the two holes on the side and to prevent the moss from falling out from the bottom.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

But there is a chance they will pick at the bubble wrap and eat it. This is dangerous if they do.
At WalMart (or other craft stores) they sell plastic craft sheets, and plastic sheets for needlepoint. This would keep the hermies from falling through the hole, keep the moss in the shower caddy, and be safe all at the same time.

Edited to add:
They sell plastic craft thread too that one can use to hold them in place if needed, or one can use plastic cable ties.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Zygote
Zygote

Okay, I will remove it and buy some plastic craft sheets.
Thanks Marie. :)
Zygote
Zygote

Ruggies

I'm planning on order two Ruggies in about a month or sooner (five hermies in a ten gallon tank including a second level - pushing it?) and want to gather all of the information I can on the species.
Do they have any special needs?
I have a moss pit, plenty of climbing toys (but planning on buying some cholla wood and some more climbing toys), fresh foods every day, two inches of sand and coconut fiber, extra shells, hydrometer, thermometer, vines, saltwater dish, freshwater dish and if I need anything else /please/ let me know.
I need to get a lot more hiding places and a lot more climbing toys, this I know but other than that I think I have a pretty nice setup.
I have one molter right now - should I wait until she emerges to introduce the Ruggies?
I also have no ISO tank yet. Do they need one?
EDIT : I'm using Wai's idea with a 2 liter bottle right now for a temporary ISO tank.

My hiding places :
Coconut hut
Any recommendations for other hiding places? Please keep in mind I have a ten gallon tank.

Climbing toys :
Vines
Plastic plants
Fish ornament
Any recommendations for other climbing toys?

Thanks in advance! :)
sarah13
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total tanks: 3

Re: Ruggies

Post by sarah13 »

you need an isolation tank when they are molting {and sometimes after for a few day to a week} and sick. You should get a decent size one if you can if not many house hold items will work. I'm not too sure about the rest hope this helped :)
Sarah Lynn
511 Houdini
509 Purple
total count so far 2 and more on the way :)
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Please do read page one of the original thread to about the needs of hermies. The cut 2 liter soda bottle is an emergency iso only, not for getting newbies and such. A new hermie cannot be housed in a cut 2 liter bottle, no way to help them adjust per the PPS recommendations.
I would also recommend a lager tank. Look on Craigs list or freecycle then your 10 gal can be your iso tank that is needed. Even with a second level, and all the deco's and other items (water ponds, food dishes) the tank will be crowded and a higher chance for aggressive behavior.
Please do read through the Crab Care section.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

scmokat
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 12
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 2

Post by scmokat »

I had a grapewood log and had to remove it. Even though I was using salt water to expand my EE, no amount of boiling or baking it seemed to matter it always came back and seemed to come back quicker each time!
Zygote
Zygote

ladybug15057 wrote:Please do read page one of the original thread to about the needs of hermies. The cut 2 liter soda bottle is an emergency iso only, not for getting newbies and such.
I know this. I figured because, well, it's a two liter bottle.. Not much you can accomplish from that except for more stress.

I don't have enough room for more than a 10 gallon. I'm getting new carpet in my room soon so then I might be able to create space for a 20 gallon by putting some tables together, or something. :) I'll start saving up. :)