How long before your crabs were used to you?

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
deathbatbabe6661
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 3

Re: How long before your crabs were used to you?

Post by deathbatbabe6661 »

pookie_spike09 wrote:omg!! *teah* *sniff*tear* i cant even imagine a pet store that bad!!!! but have you seen some stores crabitat... its as small as my tank that holds 2 crabs and thirs holds tons and tons of crabs. they also dont put in a shell shop or anything at all for them to change into when their shell doesn't fit :( *tear* sniff*
there wasnt even any food...and the water that was in there was from the tank above that was leaking, also with tons of dead fish. i wrote a letter to them, i guess they didnt want to reply. my sis is a dog groomer there, so shes gonna try to get something through there heads, seeing she cant handle any of the pets they sell. she also got her boss to yell at the guy that ignored me. every one that worked there was like "why didnt your sis just smack him?" lol my sis was so mad
~*Miko,Malibu,Mr.Finger,&Pedro<3*~

RIP:krabby,hermy,mr.krabs,mrs.krabs,piwi hermit.Spanky,pipa
pookie_spike09
Zoea I
Zoea I
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 0

Post by pookie_spike09 »

every time i go in a pet store annd see the crabs in a teribble crabitat i call up my aunt and tell her an she comes to buyn all of them... but she only takes in 5 at a time. my aunt finds good homes for them.
i love crabbys-mooseloveher
RIP pookie RIP spike RIP leonardo
catch me on my email- liz_pink97@yahoo.com
deathbatbabe6661
Zoea II
Zoea II

pookie_spike09 wrote:every time i go in a pet store annd see the crabs in a teribble crabitat i call up my aunt and tell her an she comes to buyn all of them... but she only takes in 5 at a time. my aunt finds good homes for them.
aww.....i wish i could do something like that....

pookie_spike09
Zoea I
Zoea I
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 0

Post by pookie_spike09 »

me too.. i kinda get free crabs when ever i wnt one!!!! some day im going to open an animal and reptile shelter for the people who cant take care of thier pets
i love crabbys-mooseloveher
RIP pookie RIP spike RIP leonardo
catch me on my email- liz_pink97@yahoo.com
deathbatbabe6661
Zoea II
Zoea II

pookie_spike09 wrote:me too.. i kinda get free crabs when ever i wnt one!!!! some day im going to open an animal and reptile shelter for the people who cant take care of thier pets
aww...im gonna work at the petsmart that i got spanky from :) that way i can help fix up all the horrible tats.

CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

That would be very cool
deathbatbabe6661 wrote: pookie_spike09 wrote:me too.. i kinda get free crabs when ever i wnt one!!!! some day im going to open an animal and reptile shelter for the people who cant take care of thier pets

aww...im gonna work at the petsmart that i got spanky from :) that way i can help fix up all the horrible tats.
Great idea you two! And you could educate the people who come to buy crabs so they don't put calci sand for a substrate and make sure they don't give commercial crab food and all that other stuff. Think of all the good you'd be doing! Creating responsible pet owners, and raising the survivability of hermit crabs in captivity. :P

Today I put an ad on Craigslist offering to adopt hermit crabs in my area, I even said I'd come pick them up.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
deathbatbabe6661
Zoea II
Zoea II

:D thanks

i like your idea too, i might have to keep an eye out on craigs, thats where i got 3 of mine, and the tank. it was an awsome deal :)

HermitCrabsUnited
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4

Post by HermitCrabsUnited »

My first crab took about a week to get used to me. He's one of the youngest of my 4, but he has an outgoing personality and he's very well-behaved and never pinches or ignores you. He's extremely friendly! He always comes by the side of the cage if you're standing there! One of my other crabs I have is the oldest and I've had him several months now, about 4, and he still hides when you go to see him. He's very shy. I recently picked up two healthy crabs and one of them, Frank, is very outgoing like my first one, Krabber, but the other one, Bubblegum, is very shy like the oldest crab.
<HERMIT CRABS UNITED>
Owner of 4 happy crabs - Krabber, Claws, Frank, and Bubblegum.

R.I.P. - Krabius
R.I.P. - Krabble
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

HermitCrabsUnited, you should not be handling your crab within the first week of owning him. The first month (at least) should be time for your crab to get used to life in the tank. You should have minimal contact with any crab you've had for less than a month. If you search this website for the term "PPS" (post-purchase stress) you will find lots of information on why you shouldn't handle the crabs so early in their time in your care. Also, did you isolate your new crabs before introducing them to your tank?
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.