Substrate Inside Shells?

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
powerfulpup
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Substrate Inside Shells?

Post by powerfulpup »

I'm not sure if this really qualified as a shell related question, or a general care, so I thought I'd just toss it out here. Sorry if it's in the wrong place!

I'm the proud caretaker (which I prefer to the term "owner") of 4 new hermit crabs. I got them almost two weeks ago, and they live in a 20 gallon tank. They are relatively small, but I wouldn't say tiny. I also have a number of various shell types for them to change into. I noticed the first night they explored their new home and checked out the shells, and have since spent lots of time tunneling and just being buried, with occasional trips to the surface. Anyway, no one switched shells, but they got Eco-Earth inside all the shells I had just cleaned for them. It made me wonder, after sterilization, is it okay if there is substrate in the shell? Do they clean it out if they want to move in?

Thanks all! :D
hermie_lover3542
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 17
Total gallons: 84
Total tanks: 5

Re: Substrate Inside Shells?

Post by hermie_lover3542 »

When a hermit crab switches shells it takes the time and "modifies" its shell. It will scoop out the dirt and even sometimes chips peices off the shell to the crab's liking.

Also how do you sterilize your shells? If you boil them in dechlorinated salt water the shells will sometimes appeal to the crab. I hope that this helped :)
*~-proud hermie mommy of 15-~*
They are Hermie the 2nd(medium pp), T.J.(medium pp), Big Daddy(large pp), Tank(Jumbo pp), Pearl(large pp), DigDug(medium pp), Freaky Fred(small pp),courage(Medium pp), Strawberry Shortcake(small pp), Tiny Timantha(tiny pp), T-rex(giant Indo), Bruce(medium strawberry), Autumn(medium blueberry), and Hor-Hay(medium blueberry).
powerfulpup
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Post by powerfulpup »

Some I boiled in treated water, not salt water though. Others I baked for a half hour at 300 degrees. Thanks for the reply.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Bake shells? I have not heard of this one, it is typical to boil the shells in dechlor water.
Hermies will clean out their shells and it does seem that it annoys the crabber and not the hermie about the substrate in the shells. In the wild the shells are not cleaned as what we normally offer. But a hermie is usually enticed more to change into a clean shell as opposed to one that is full of substrate.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.