Constantly urinating hermit crab...?

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
StarlinK
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total tanks: 1

Constantly urinating hermit crab...?

Post by StarlinK »

Alright, this seems a little odd to me...ever since one of my crabs moulted it has been urinating all the time as soon as it is picked up..neither of my crabs have ever done that before. If I just take him out to let him wander around he urinates where I place him and then does so again if I pick him up. Do hermit crabs do this when they are afraid?? Is this something I should be concerned about??
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Constantly urinating hermit crab...?

Post by ladybug15057 »

Chances are great that he/she is not urinating at all but loosing shell water. Hermies urinate so little, if even a drop from their antenna it is hardly noticeable.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Re: Constantly urinating hermit crab...?

Post by CrabbyJo »

Yes, what Marie says is true. What you are getting on you is the hermie's shell water, forced out when they abruptly pull into their shell. Hermies actually urinate through glands at the base of their antennae, which you would probably never notice, as Marie says. :)
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.