Hermies Comming UP!

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
Foxydiva3
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 27
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Hermies Comming UP!

Post by Foxydiva3 »

Hey all it's Been a long time since ive posted. This winter to make my crabs warmer I had moved them into our living room that has a woodstove. They seemed much warmer and happier But most dug down for the winter and I only had 3 or 4 roaming around. Now that Spring is here they have all come back up! Big and small they all are back once again My moss pits are full and my food dishes are being browsed. I love seeing lots of activity again. Spring cleaning will be comming soon!
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Hermies Comming UP!

Post by ladybug15057 »

Foxydiva3 we too have a wood stove and this is where all our tanks and iso's are as well. Makes it nice and warm for them, and if the power goes out a little easier to keep the tanks warm. Thing is, for 11 winters now it is our mass molting season. (How many will write "Spring molt"?)
Question, had you noticed your little ones molting more than usual due to the extra warmth?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Foxydiva3
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 27
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Post by Foxydiva3 »

Do be honest Im not sure if they are moulting or just staying down for the Winter. It does seem though that a month ago I had ten come up and then this week it seemed like 20 more came up, all sizes. Im sure most did moult as it does take the larger ones more time. Last fall I Also Changed my bedding from sand to Eco earth and noticed it was much easier to keep temp warmer and the Humidity better. So That was a vast improvement. They all did much better this year being near the wood stove. I did not have to use a Heater once this winter unlike many winters in the past. My tank looks so good where its at now I think Im just gonna leave it there all year round :D :D :D
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

Usually I just have up to three hermit crabs moult at a time. I haven't noticed a particular 'moulting season' ever since I used a CHE.
Wai
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Thanks for replying. I have been asking this for a few years now due to how it is mass molting here during the winter. A couple other crabbers have posted that they too noted when they toked up the wood stove or their fireplace it seemed their hermies began to throw off their exo's. Others have mentioned they will pay a little more attention to see if their hermies molt a little more too during the winter when the added heat is burning.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.