2 new small crabs!

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
llmercll
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

2 new small crabs!

Post by llmercll »

Hello everyone!

I just got back from petco where I picked up two small crabs. Compared to my large PP (who has been alone for awhile =/) they are TINY!! I chose them purposely so I don't need to worry about my larger crab having any shell/dominance fights, as that was a big issue in the past for me.

I want to be sure I've done everything right and have a few questions.

1. Since pet store humidity was at 80, can i add more substrate to the tank immediately? or should i still give them a few days. Right now It's about an inch, a little less maybe, and humidity is about the same as the pet store, which was surprisingly high =)

2. I have three crabs right now. One is a large PP, one is a small PP, and one is an Ecuadorian. Is this ok? will the Ecuadorian feel misfit or be picked on? have there been incidents of larger crabs bullying smaller ones for no reason? I really want them all to get along this time.

3. Being as small as they are, I'm sure they will molt often. I don't even know if my large crab has ever molted and have no experience on the process. Once I mix them in with my larger crab should I watch very closely for pre molt symptoms and isolate them if i suspect anything? is it likely the larger crab would try and eat them if they moulted in the main tank?

thanks a lot!! =)
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: 2 new small crabs!

Post by ladybug15057 »

1. I would still give them a few days so you can observe them and they will be encouraged to eat some proper foods due to the aroma they give off. (easier to smell them above substrate.)

2. It would probably be better if you did get another E. But for almost 11 years now we have E’s that live quite nicely with PP’s. (and other species) All hermies not only large have been known to get crabby when in premolt. In the wild all sizes live together in harmony.

3. Whether to iso or not is a personal choice but once they burrow one should never dig them up. Little hermies can and will eat larger hermies, large hermies will and can eat smaller ones if they are lacking something in their diet. (and sadly on occasions even with a proper diet this can happen…it is instinct) So it is not size related as to what size can and will cannibalize the other. A Jumbo for example tennis ball size can be cannibalized by a hermie who is the size of a dime. When a hermie molts they are totally defenseless. But be ready with a cut 2 liter soda bottle and the glass of a picture frame in case they are needed.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
llmercll
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by llmercll »

thanks a lot for the advice =)

I already have 3 crabs in a 10gal. 2 pp and 1 e. Would the "crowd" by adding another E be worth it?

what do you mean by the 2 liter soda bottle and picture frame?

thanks a lot!
Purple pinchers
Zoea II
Zoea II
Total gallons: 20

Post by Purple pinchers »

Well i know that the picture frame is used for to devide the hermit crabs just incase they fight or one molts. I am not sure what the soda bottle is for.
*Pack Rat*
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

One can cut the very top and bottom off of a 2 liter soda bottle and use it as an emergency iso area. This is usually used if one has a molter above substrate, or if one is burrowed and the tank mates are disturbing the molter. The picture glass is used the same, but if the molter is in a corner or such where it is too awkward to use the cut soda bottle method. Both need to be pushed all the way to the tanks floor and all items removed the others can climb and gain access to the divided area. Soda bottle lids/water bottle lids can be used as small water sources since it is a tight area.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
llmercll
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by llmercll »

Great, thanks for the infos.

I have another issue now. Downstairs where my new crabs are the temp is only 72. Upstairs where my real crabitat is, it is 82. My house has a really uneven air conditioning.

Should I move the smaller crabs to the upstairs tank asap? I really don't see a place to put the iso cage upstairs. What do you recommend I do? I know 72 is a bit cold for them...

thanks!
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

I see you have listed you are from NY? We are just starting with the warm temps here this week in southern Pa., and chances are it is going to get much hotter as the summer moves on. I would suggest instead of iso upstairs move the main tank down stairs. Do you have a warming source that can be used to boost the heat a little on one end?

Edited to add: as in boosting the substrate temp? What is your substrate temp on the warm and cooler side?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

llmercll
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by llmercll »

I actually don't have an external heat source, nor do I have a cool or warm side to my tank =/

In the winter it usually stays around 75 and in the summer, 80. But this is upstairs in a specific location, and is regulated by my AC and heat. My house is VERY small and cramped, so my options are limited. And with a fairly "healthy" temperature range I haven't seen the need for an external heating source. Although the temps will rise (supposed to be 93 tomorrow!), my upstairs will stay around 80 and my downstairs around 70, because of the AC. I've actually had the AC set a little higher than usual (73 compared to 70) so the downstairs doesn't get too cool for the new crabs, but at the same time, it's making the upstairs around 83, which is a bit hot. The thermostat for my AC is downstairs; the upstairs is a solid 10 degrees higher.

Also, my new crabs seem to be doing ok so far. They have unique personality's and I really like that. One of them really likes to stay under things, like in the hut and under a piece of grapewood, the other likes to run around the perimeter of the iso and tends to be a little more active, almost "hyper". He was like that in the petstore too, which is partly why I picked him =p

I'm thinking of giving them another week or so and then adding them to the main tank, at the same time setting the ac so the main tank stays around 80. I'd like to avoid purchasing an UTH just to use for a week, but don't want to risk my crabs health in this critical stage =/

thanks for the replies =)
Grandma Crabber
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 35
Total tanks: 3

Post by Grandma Crabber »

Just a quick FYI... I had a small PP in a painted shell and bought it because it ran around so much in the pet store. When I got home I put several shells in the ISO tank with it. It IMMEDIATELY changed shells so I removed the painted one and looked at it. It had a dot of dried glue in it and was very jagged. Just a thought.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

Grandma Crabber,
I have heard of crabs being glued into their shells, this is the first first person account I have heard. So they still do that :( It's terrible. They glue them in so they don't drop the shell in order to sell the crab in the painted shell. Poor, poor things :(
Just another reason why painted shells are so bad, they motivate greedy people to be more cruel.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.