Where do you buy crabs in Melbourne?

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
scalpelgirl
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 0
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 0

Where do you buy crabs in Melbourne?

Post by scalpelgirl »

Hallo everybody.

My name is Adele and I'm a crab virgin. 4 days ago, in ignorance, I bought two hermit crabs for my nieces' birthday, from Pets Paradise in Knox shopping centre. The crabs were in an open tank, with wood shavings, under two desk lamps. I can't remember if there was a thermometer, not knowing to look for one, but I have a feeling there wasn't. I was sold the two crabs, one of those little plastic carrier things, 2 dishes, one for food and one for salt water. The shop assistant didn't tell me they needed fresh water too. Also some hermie crab salt and food, can't remember brand name.
They crabs were put in a little cardboard carrier box, and I was assured they will be fine until that evening when I was to hand them over to my nieces.

Back home I thought they will surely be happier in a slightly bigger container with some water, but the salt container didn't have any directions on how much to use, so I turned to the internet. Which is where I realised what a massive mistake I've made. After only a little bit of research, I phoned the girls' mother to tell her I got them crabs, but they will need a lot more care than I anticipated, did she want me to keep them or was she happy to take them anyway. She was, and I gave them the present telling them they'll need a glass enclosure, heating, proper food, etc. etc. I'll check in on them in a few days.

But now I've been bitted by the hermie bug, and I really want to get some for myself. (I can pretend it's for my 2 year old girl's benefit, but really, they're for me). I started getting some moss, food and shells over the internet from the places you guys suggested (Easyorchid I think and Nautilisy), and armed with my list of approved of substrate, dechlorinater and salt, I set of to Fish and Feather in Kilsyth.

It was awful! They had a huge open tank with no covering, one heat lamp, gravel and some suspicious-looking sand. No thermometer or hygrometer. Painted shells galore. After half and hour I finally convinced somebody to help me, and it was ridiculous. I asked about temperature, she said about 22 deg, "but it doesn't really matter". I asked about humidity, and how they keep humidity in when the tank is open, and she started going on about how heat lamps affect humidity, but couldn't tell me anything about humidity itself. She ended up saying humidity isn't really important either, because obviously their crabs were doing fine. I asked about substrate, and pointed out that gravel is bad as it can get stuck in the shells and kill the crabs, and she said they'e never had any complaints, and they've never had a crab death. And the painted shells were perfectly fine, as they were made especially for crabs. They also had none of the items that were on my list. I left without buying anything.

After this long story, I have 2 questions: Where do you guys get your crabs from in Melbourne? Also, I feel really sorry for those crabs. I really feel like writing a letter to the manager, suggesting that it will make much more financial sense to have a dedicated hermit crab centre where crab owners and owners-to-be can regularly shop, instead of the occasional impulse buy. Surely somebody who is really interested will do at least some research, and realise that the shop conditions are hopelessly inadequate?

I'm really interested, and would appreciate your input. Thanks, and hope everybody is having a good weekend.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: Where do you buy crabs in Melbourne?

Post by Wai »

Sorry for the late reply, I've been studying for exams, but I just want to say I'm from Melbourne too! Don't bother asking pet store workers for help in the future. They're just there to sell the hermit crabs. They wouldn't know any more about hermit crabs than your normal everyday person. I bet they don't even know how many limbs a hermit crab has.

I bought my hermit crabs from several different pet shops and four were adopted from two other people. You can check my journal for more details.
Wai