OOH, PURRING SOUNDS HEARD AND MORE

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
babesbarn
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

OOH, PURRING SOUNDS HEARD AND MORE

Post by babesbarn »

Please click on this link and go to the bottom of the page and I found a link that takes you to the exact sounds my hermies were doing last night. I have had Spiderman a year or more and he is the boss in there and this other crab...Jumbo 2 had dug a spot and was in there for a day or so. Perhaps it is the weather change and location I don't know but Spiderman went down there and told him to get out of that hole and this morning all my crabs were awake on top. But last night i heard like purring.

Actual sound.... http://www.hermit-crabs.com/echirp.wav

That is the sound I heard. This was not from my house this link but exactly that. Also please look at my journal or take a look at the heading under "Streaking" . I posted pictures of JUMBO 2 who got stuck somewhere and had to come out of his shell to free his body. These are exceptional great shots and they are of his body naked all fattened up. I put this on my journal and on the streaking but no one is commenting to give me information.
I also would like to know what behavior it is for my one crab to seek out the other one who has dug his tunnel just a few days before and active. And then making that sound.

My pictures viewtopic.php?f=62&t=4487
Thanks so much.
ZuZu
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 29

Re: OOH, PURRING SOUNDS HEARD AND MORE

Post by ZuZu »

Cool! i only heard this once from my hermies... no fair :D I always wonder what my crabs think of the massive cricket population's music, we live in the room where you can best hear the little bugs.
I love my five hermies:
Bumper, the socialite leader
Sticky, The Devourer
Shy Guy, Name says all.
Rose, hyper, never sleeps
Sharky, micro version of ShyGuy
Celebrating 5 years of Crabisism XD
beka
Zygote
Zygote
Total gallons: 72
Total tanks: 2

Post by beka »

wow, that was awesome!! thanks for sharing that!
babesbarn
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by babesbarn »

Thanks for looking!
Grandma Crabber
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 35
Total tanks: 3

Post by Grandma Crabber »

Hey Babesbarn, I have really enjoyed your journaling!! I thought about you during the last hurricane. I live in Florida and we got lucky. I have had crabbies since Feb. of this year and I love them! I have 22, in three separate tanks. Anyway, recently I got up during the night and a crab was naked in a dish of food and writhing back and forth. He looked light yellow greenish white and was the consistency of hard jelly. I saw his shell beside the dish ad lots of exoskeleton there too. I washed my hands, warmed some water, half salt and half pure and dipped him and his shell in it. Then gently put him back in his shell and scooped the exoskeleton up and trasferred all to the ISO tank. That is my 2nd experience with a naked crab. The first time I found an empty shell that had gotten stuck and the naked crab was dead in the salt water dish. Back to naked #2....he is doing great and has eaten all of his exoskeleton. Soon to return to the main tank when he is more active. ( I know ur not suppossed to pick them up naked but I freaked) More later...Grandson just got up.
babesbarn
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by babesbarn »

Soon to return to the main tank when he is more active. ( I know ur not suppossed to pick them up naked but I freaked) More later...Grandson just got up.[/quote]Hi thanks for responding to my post. I don't know whether it is ok to handle them or not. I put a cooked fantail shrimp inside the tank on a half shell. Spiderman went nuts trying to get at the tail. And the other one figured it out watching him and tried to hold him back so he could get to it himself. And even got poor spiderman twisted in his shell where he was facing the wrong way inside it. Eventually he worked his way around. I was "concerned" to say the least because I figured he was stuck. But I divided the shrimp up and placed each fellow on his own dish.
I have never been past a molt. Every time I try to place a crab in ISO it dies on me. Not sure if the Coconut Eco substrate is the best for a crab during that time. Here I thought my Jumbo was molting what seemed like three months and he was in tact but dead. I was "hearing" him chirp too. I will leave them alone and let them do their own thing. Keep in touch. Sorry it took so long for me to drop back. XD