New crabbie in my tank! just a few questions...

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
ZuZu
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 29
Total tanks: 1

New crabbie in my tank! just a few questions...

Post by ZuZu »

8| bit nervous right now, just put in a new little guy/gal and boy is he cuuuute! I recently sexed my crabs and all are girls except maybe this one, He is really tiny! And I am not sure if I am doing things right. My crabs are all about twice as big as him so I am not worried about them trying to steal/ use his shell. But they are frightening him, my crabs are looking in his little shell. Not in a menacing way (I’ve seen that) but in more of a curiously rude way. Like if some big kid walks up to a kindergarten girl and says “hey! Who are you? where you from? Whattcha doin? I like your shirt! ohh…” and imagine while this kid says this they get uncomfortably close to you. That’s what they are doing to the poor little guy. I hope this doesn’t stress him out, they don’t have any intention of hurting him. So what can I do to make his move in more smooth?
I love my five hermies:
Bumper, the socialite leader
Sticky, The Devourer
Shy Guy, Name says all.
Rose, hyper, never sleeps
Sharky, micro version of ShyGuy
Celebrating 5 years of Crabisism XD
Thedrawingclaw
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 30
Total tanks: 2

Re: New crabbie in my tank! just a few questions...

Post by Thedrawingclaw »

i think you should try and show him they're only curious, by maybe taking them all out to interact together.
Meet my [hermie] family:
Scuttles, Crabzilla, Shelldon, Curlicue, Kujo, and Gigantor
Proud owner of these 6 beautiful PP hermit crabs
R.I.P. Kujo
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

Well, it's already a little late, there really isnt anything you can do after the fact. Generally you want to give the new guy a couple of weeks in his own tank to get used to all the new sounds and lifetime patterns in his new house with you. This also gives you time to make certain he isn't carrying mites or any bacteria or diseases that could be spread to your current tank and crabs. After those initial couple of weeks, then introducing the new crab should consist of a bath in the fresh water pond (before you clean it) so he can get some of the "main tank" smell on him. Some like to take all the crabs out and put them in a play area (like a large tub with some climbing toys in it) to get to meet each other in a neutral environment. Alternatively you can bathe him in the pond, then let him go into the tank.
There will be stand-off's and what we consider "rude" behavior as the crabs determine their pecking order, establishing who is more dominant and who is more subservient. This is normal, and should be allowed uninterrupted. The only time you should step in is if you see an actual shell fight in progress.
This could be dangerous for both crabs involved, so you should gently interrupt, picking them up which should startle them into stopping the fight. Never try to pull them apart.
If this happens, put the aggressor into isolation for a little while until he cools off. There are more hints elsewhere in these forums for how to deal with shell fights. And it does not matter what size shell a crab has or if he can fit into the shell he's fighting for. The crabs don't seem to understand shell size difference until they have the empty shell in front of them and are able to inspect it. So don't think that just because crabs are different sizes they wont' fight over shells! :)

So ultimately, at this point, there's nothing more you can do to help in the transition, what's done is done. Just make sure to observe for shell fights.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
ZuZu
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by ZuZu »

I don't think there really could have been another way. -.- if I took them apart I suspect they would have gone right back to it after introducing them again. as for the introducing after living alone for a few weeks, done. He has also gotten a bath from me before this event. even if I did do the playtime method he would have been too shy to come out so it would have been fruitless. it has been about a day and after about thirty minutes the little guy had made friends and is part of their group. I think because the tanks group was so close for so long they where able to tell anyways. hoping that this good behaviour will last. I have had a shell fight once and am not eager for it to happen again. X( I have just checked on them and they seem to be fine, playing on the drift wood together :D
I love my five hermies:
Sticky, The Devourer
Shy Guy, Name says all.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

I agree with CrabbyJo, she has given sound advise.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

Oh I wasn't suggesting in any way that you should interrupt their "strutting" behavior while they settle their pecking order. I believe I said it was normal for them to behave this way, but if a shell fight ensued, then you would step in. I'm all for letting them get to know each other naturally.
As for the bath, I didn't say just give him a bath, I said bathe him in the fresh water pond of the main tank before putting him in with the others. This helps get the scent of the main tank on him, and can't hurt in the "getting to know you" process.

There is so little we do know about hermit crabs, and I don't doubt they may have become a bit familiar with each other just from being in close proximity. Who knows? They may communicate in ways we have no idea of.

I'm glad he's getting on well in his new home, and that your crabs seem to all be getting on fine. :)
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
ZuZu
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by ZuZu »

oh, I undrestand now, thanks for your replys :D
I love my five hermies:
Sticky, The Devourer
Shy Guy, Name says all.