My Crabs have stopped eating

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
Foxydiva3
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 27
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

My Crabs have stopped eating

Post by Foxydiva3 »

I have had a large Crabbitat with different species of crabs of all sizes. I have had this tank for I would say over 6 years and have had crabs for over ten. I use Cocco Husk as my bedding and have various moss pits and drift wood salt and fresh water pools and the humidity and temp are always on point. My Question is My crabs all of the sudden have stopped eating or refused to eat what I have given them. I Feed them all sorts of things, Blood worms, krill . baby shrimp, veggies, fruits, cocconut, assorted nuts ect. aon Occasion I will give them Shrimp tails left over from dinner and fresh veggies and fruits. They also have a Calcium block. Every time I feed them They come out from everywhere to eat It's almost like I Ring a dinner bell and they come forth and graze, I have around 35 crabs and they are always active . So this past week They refuse anything I put in. They don't even bother to check out what I have put in. It is starting to concern me. They are all still alive and lively climbing digging doing their crabby things. Just not showing up for Dinner. I even went as dar as getting new food dishes nd new food supplies. Any Ideas Or they just Dieting? :o
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: My Crabs have stopped eating

Post by ladybug15057 »

I wouldn't say they were dieting, but being from the east coast it seems a couple weather fronts have been hitting? Maybe they can also feel the aftershocks from Virgina?
With the coco husk, wood and moss maybe they are munching away on these?
Or you maybe getting ready for a mass molt?
Are your tank perimeters the same?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

You know they haven't starved themselves until they drop dead, so don't worry too much. They're just eating behind your back.
Wai
Foxydiva3
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 27
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Post by Foxydiva3 »

Thx guys, there have been several weird weather things other than that everythings the same. Its just weird they come like cows for hay during feeding time the last 6 years and now just stopped. hope this doesnt mean the big one's coming! lol :o