Introducing new hermies?

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
StarJohn
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 32
Total tanks: 2

Introducing new hermies?

Post by StarJohn »

Hi fellow crab people. I am hoping for some advice regarding introducing new crabs to my crabitat. I have 2 walnut sized hermies that I put into a new crabitat two weeks ago. I think it is fairly well set up with good temperature and humidity range. 6 inch coco fibre and sand mix sub straight . Hiding places, climbing things etc etc. When they first moved in one of my crabs 'Star' dropped a back leg from either side (I assume due to stress). She hid in her shell in her coco hut for over a week, but now seems to be much better and is eating well and active again. My other crab 'John' dug down in the first 24hrs and has been down for two weeks now. There are no bad smells (and he seemed quite well prior to digging down) so I am assuming he may be moulting. I have a 22 gallon tank and would like to introduce two more Hermies. I assume it would be best to wait until John resurfaces after his moult before bringing in new ones?? My question is how long after he resurfaces should I wait before I introduced them? Any advice would be much appreciated

Cheers
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Introducing new hermies?

Post by ladybug15057 »

Welcome to HCP! I believe there is a care sheet regarding new hermies and how to iso them for the adjustment period. And one should attempt to keep newer hermies above substrate so they do not burrow so one can keep an eye on them and help them to adjust to proper temps, humidity, and a proper diet.
Welcome!

*Edited to add* But one should offer a hidey/hut for them to seek shelter in for a little added sense of security.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
StarJohn
Zygote
Zygote

Post by StarJohn »

Thanks ladybug25057. I understand about the ISO tank - I have one set up to use for the new crabs. The part I am unsure about is how long 'John' should be up after a moult before I should introduce the new crabs to the main tank?
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 60
Total tanks: 3

Post by Ginger »

I'm glad to hear that Star has come through healthy StarJohn, I may be incorrect on my judgement on this, but I think it would be fine to introduce them at any point in time when John has come up. I know that he may smell enticing however I believe the two newbies will be too engrossed exploring in their new home to worry too much about their housemates until a few weeks later by which time John should be normal again.
StarJohn
Zygote
Zygote

Post by StarJohn »

Thanks Ginger! Yes I am very relieved that Star seems to have bounced back. Thanks for the advice on introducing new ones. I'm looking forward to getting them so I guess I now play the waiting game for John to come up. I never would have thought a month ago when I got these guys for my young son that I would in fact be getting a whole new hobby for myself in the process! :)
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

When you see the hermie eating and drinking well on their own, and showing no signs of weakness is when it is suggested to introduce them to the rest of the colony. But before changing out the fresh/ocean water pond dip the molter into the pond to help rinse some of the molt odor off of him and to help him 'smell' like the other tank mates. This helps to cut back on some territorial aggressive behavior.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
StarJohn
Zygote
Zygote

Post by StarJohn »

Thanks for the help ladybug15057. John has returned from his moult after 3.5 weeks. .Both crabs are starting to become very active again so hope to introduce two new tank mates in a week or so
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65

Post by aussieJJDude »

I hope I am not too late to post, but personally I would hold off adding some tank mates until you get a bigger tank. For aussies, 22g seems to house 2 - 3 crabs in there without too much problems. One thing I noticed is that aussies often like a little more leg room and do best when the tank was heavily understocked. I usually go by the rule of one crab per 10g, and it seems to work well on my clan.

I seen many people house 8 crabs in a 40g tank, yet I currantly have 5 crabs in a 64g and at most, will add only 1 - 2 crabs extra. So far, my only deaths have occurred due to overcrowding.
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57
Total tanks: 1

Post by appps »

That's a really good point Aussie.
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011