R.I.P Gonzo(Death pic included)

This is the place to send a tribute for your departed hermies.
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 69
Total tanks: 3

R.I.P Gonzo(Death pic included)

Post by POPPIT »

So today I go to put fresh food in my main tank and I smell that horrible fishy death smell...After seeing 3 of my 4 crabs I knew it was Gonzo(I thought he was in a tunnel I saw) and when I lifted the blanket from the cold side I found him lying dead....I have had him 7 and a half months now from my friend and he has not long gone through his second moult...I have a few things that I think may have caused his death but maybe your opinions can clear it up...I know he moulted and his exoskeleton was a tinge pink( normally cream)he was also falling a whole lot from the tree stump either onto one of the tree stump limbs or onto sand and he was falling a lot from the shell basket(2nd level)onto the pebbles and my tank temp has been lower than it has been since I got them as winter has come in...overnight temp warm side ranges at about 70-73F(been working on this currently) day temp is mostly between 75-80F(use to be about 85F or above in the day) Humidity has been lower too as in within the 70's but use to be within the 80's+...Oh another thing is since I bought the big deep salt pool I have not seen them go into it by themselves they drink from the edge even though I have had a couple of different climbing/bridge access ramps...weirdly my crabs don't seem to like deep water which if course doesn't make sense...I am worried about future deaths so I am taking away all pebbles and just putting sand also going to bump up the heat with another new 7watt(when I buy it) and will try and find a salt pool entrance they use...Poor Gonzo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: R.I.P Gonzo(Death pic included)

Post by Wai »

It sounds more like a bad moult. I have seen the 'pink' exoskeleton problem before too. The exoskeleton feels rubbery instead of hard. If he smells quite bad already, he may have been dead for a few days already. Hermit crabs are usually okay with falls (they instinctively withdraw into their shell so that the shell takes the impact of the fall); therefore the gravel probably didn't have much to do with his death. You can take it out if you really want to.
Wai
StellaCrab
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 13
Total gallons: 125
Total tanks: 2

Post by StellaCrab »

I am sorry to hear about your loss of your crab! I lost one of mine similar to this situation, he was just too weak in the wrong conditions to survive.
Last edited by StellaCrab on 30 Nov 2018, 01:33, edited 3 times in total.
Lynns
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Lynns »

That sucks what happened to your crab. I feel for you. I hope you got a new pet by now.
Last edited by Lynns on 07 Aug 2019, 15:45, edited 1 time in total.
The Bathmate is cool.
babesbarn
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

dont give up

Post by babesbarn »

Don't give up. Read the How to' s on this forum. It's kind of a Learning Curve for all of us. The gravel is not great I think.I have been using Play Sand and Eco Cocohusk mix. They get plenty of digging and if you leave them be and just listen, they will chirp at night. They like the cooler side of a tank. But they need warm not hot. I have been coming here for a number of years now and I really got into my Hermies. I lost one or two in the beginning but they were sick in the first place. Those pet stores are terrible. good luck. Don't give up.
I found the only time the Hermies want the Ocean Marine Salt Water is just prior to a molt. Then they eat like crazy and go Under. The Hermies are pretty resilient.