Pet stores aren't as dumb as they seem.

Report on pet stores that are either doing a great or terrible job of looking after their hermit crabs on display.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: Pet stores aren't as dumb as they seem.

Post by Wai »

I haven't been impressed with any pet store so far. Of the ones that still exist in my area today, none of them address humidity, while one of them does not even have a heat source. The most common choice for substrate is jagged gravel and wood shavings. Only one store uses sand, but they bake their hermit crabs in heat and do not provide any water for them. Absolutely pathetic.

For those interested, below is a link to the so-called "care sheet" that is widely distributed to pet stores in Victoria:
http://www.petsparadise.com.au/swf/herm ... eSheet.swf

Personally, I hate all of Happy Hermit's products. Their "Hermit Helpings" does not provide a list the ingredients used and only states that hermit crabs also need to be fed "fruits and vegetables", failing to address the need for meat in their diet. I have been wondering whether their "Salt Bath Crystals" are actually salt. I will perform a test (much like the one Marie conducted) on those crystals to check their safety. By the way, the "Salt Bath Crystals" does not state how much salt to put in the water. It just says "To be added to water".
Wai
Hermie's rule
Zoea IV
Zoea IV
Hermit crabs: 3

Post by Hermie's rule »

They did provide some real information. But what I thought was funny was the part about the hermies getting colds and dying. XD
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

Yeah, I laughed at that too, HR. Also when it said that you should change the substrate whenever it gets wet - I have done a dry substrate, and within a few weeks it was back to sand castle consistency all over. Do you realize how much sand you'd go through if you changed it every time it got wet?

And Wai, the care sheet said that you were supposed to use 1 level tablespoon of the bath crystals for the bath.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

emmac350 wrote:And Wai, the care sheet said that you were supposed to use 1 level tablespoon of the bath crystals for the bath.
True, but it doesn't say that on the actual bottle of sea salt. If the pet store doesn't provide the care sheet, then the customer won't know.
Wai
Jadexox
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 16
Total gallons: 100

Post by Jadexox »

once i did buy a hermit crab she asked how many i had i said i had 8 and then she said maybe soon our hermies might have babies i dont agree with the we bit though they did not even have a salt water bowl they cant even put the right food in all they eat are sesame seeds and i no it was not just for 1 day because i go there every week and also they had GRAVEL i no its bad but if they could AT LEAST make it deeper it was only like 3mm deep :( 8| :'(
poor hermies maybe your pet store is smart but not mine -.-
i made my avatar on picnik

Pet's name: wolf
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

Have babies!? That's a big giveaway that the pet store worker isn't doing her job properly.
Wai
CrabbyMamma
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 20

Post by CrabbyMamma »

Seeing that this thread has been bumped anyway, I will say that I am not at all surprised to realise Wai that the store you referred to was Pets Paradise, that is where we got our crabs (and sub-standard set up).

What horrified me more was that I recently found a fairly good care sheet laying around our house, they had sold the crabs, the cardboard 'substrate', etc to my partner, at the same time as giving him a care sheet with correct info on it (clearly he didn't read it!). WHY are they giving these care sheets out when they are clearly giving customers advice that contradicts the care sheets they are giving out.

I went and checked out the store myself the other day - approximately 10 - 15 hermies in a plastic critter keeper, about 2cm of that shredded cardboard stuff int he bottom, a small bowl of commercial food, and fresh and salt water (I would say the fresh water was not dechlorinated seeing as they did not sell any to my partner). A lot of the crabs were piled on top of each other, and I would bet money on at least a few being dead. There was no humidity, no heat, no gauges, nothing.

I am going to take the time to write them a letter in the next couple of weeks, expressing my anger as a) a consumer at them not giving proper advice as to what the crabs needed to be cared for (i.e not explaining they needed a lot more than the store initially sold us, and for selling us products that were a complete waste of money), and b) as an animal lover at the conditions they keep and sell their crabs in.

I doubt I will get a reply, but if I do, I will be sure to share it.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Wai had added a download to the Crab care section which is a basic care sheet in hopes of keeping the attention of one reading it. It maybe of some help, as well as something to send with your letter?
http://www.hermitcrabparadise.com/downloads/

GOOD LUCK!!
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

CrabbyMamma wrote:There was no humidity, no heat, no gauges, nothing.
And these guys have to make it through the chilly nights too... :(
Wai