A revolution?

Report on pet stores that are either doing a great or terrible job of looking after their hermit crabs on display.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

A revolution?

Post by Wai »

I went to a Pets Paradise store today. There were two workers, a guy and a lady. I went to the hermit crab tank and found a small hermit crab that had died and fallen out of its shell. Then, the guy approached me:
"Hi, how may I help you?"
"I think this little guy is dead."
"Oh, it's probably just asleep."
Then, I found another dead hermit crab, medium in size:
"I think this guy is dead too."
"Oh, it's probably just sleeping."
Then, the guy walked off to serve a family that wanted to buy a puppy. I continued kneeling in front of the hermit crab tank. A few minutes later, the lady approached me:
"Hi, how may I help you?"
"I would like a hermit crab, please."
"Sure, which one?"
So I pointed at the first dead hermit crab. She picked up its shell and looked confused, telling me that there was nothing inside. I pointed at the hermit crab's body and she then picked it up. I continued the conversation by acting dumb:
"Oh, is it dead?"
"Hmm, I think so. Poor thing."
Pointing at the guy who was still serving the family, I said with a frown: "Oh, so it is dead? The guy told me that it was 'asleep'."
I then pointed at the other dead hermit crab:
"I think this hermit crab is dead too."
"Yeah, I thought so."
"I think the humidity in the tank is too dry."
So I shifted to my intellectual self and told her how to fix up the tank. I also told her that I had written up a hermit crab care sheet, since the Happy Hermits one was full of crap. She seemed very interested and told me to give her a copy, so that she could display it at their store.

I am overjoyed! Do you think I should include my full name on the care sheet? You can download the latest version of the care sheet below:
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=2785&p=22812
Wai
sirenequidanse
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4

Re: A revolution?

Post by sirenequidanse »

wow, so sad that those poor hermies had to die in vain. the pet store i got most of mine from is similiar. the sales girl told me calci sand, and that is ok to have one. and that you cant put a glass lid on the tank because they wont be able to breathe. and she also said she could never hold her crab and that it just sat on gravel all day. hmmm can i hear a BIG WRONG ANSWER! (!) :o -.-
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

Great Job Wai! Yes, definitely include your full name, and your website as well, and even an email if you feel inspired to do so. That's so awesome that they are willing to help out, you handled that great!
I wish I could handle my own pet store better, they just look at me funny and start being patronizing. I know I can do it, I just don't always speak well or get myself across as I'd like. Oh well, I'll get it one day!

Congratulations! WOohoo, chalk one up for the Crabs because of Wai!
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
erikleeson
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 0

Post by erikleeson »

You handled that well. I usually just snap and talk back to them. At one instance, I had a conversation sort of like this...

"Excuse me, but almost all of your hermit crabs are dead."
"No...they're molting."
There was a chance that they where molting, but of course it would be a surface molt due to the shallow substrate. So I told him the basics of molting and stuff and then.
"Well I still think that they are molting."

Then he walked away!
ERIK LEESON

These are currently living in a better home...
Zeke+Finnigan+Wesker+Mendez+Xavi+Garth+Zoidberg+Gomez+Gilbert+Bobo+Luther
SEE THEM HERE

Need help? I'm on here lots so PM me for any questions you need answered!

Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

You should have told him that the hermit crabs would NOT want to moult in such tank conditions...
Wai
Zacshack174
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6

Post by Zacshack174 »

my pet store doesn't have the best of conditions but I think its pretty good for a petsmart. at least they dont have a mesh cage.
anniehorsekrab
Zoea I
Zoea I
Total gallons: 15
Total tanks: 2

Post by anniehorsekrab »

Whenever I try to tell the dudes at the petstores something about hermit crabs or that something's wrong with their tank, they always brush it off, find a lame excuse, and think I'm just a cute little kid thinking she knows more about hermit crabs than they do (11 years old is little? I think not!). One disadvantage at trying to persuade the people at the petstores is definitely AGE. :S
~Annie

(and Mr. Krabs, Your Shyness, Scooter, Mr. Krabs Jr, Zipper, and Beechie of course!)
hermies4life
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 5

Post by hermies4life »

defiantly its age im 14 and whenever i try to talk to the people at the pet sotre they look at me and say wheres your mom!?!?!!?!?! I swear if i ever go to jail its gonna be for murdering a petsmart employee X( >[ >]
"She's Country From Her Cowboy Boots To Her Down Home Roots" -Jason Aldean

3 Hermies! Funk,Hudini,and Munster!
anniehorsekrab
Zoea I
Zoea I
Total gallons: 15

Post by anniehorsekrab »

Yeah, seriously I'm at my WIT'S END with petstore employees!!!!! >[
~Annie

(and Mr. Krabs, Your Shyness, Scooter, Mr. Krabs Jr, Zipper, and Beechie of course!)
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

It looks likes my caresheet will never go up at that store. It has been over a month or two now and my caresheet is still no-where to be seen. Oh well.
Wai