Incorrect hermie care information site

Report on pet stores that are either doing a great or terrible job of looking after their hermit crabs on display.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Incorrect hermie care information site

Post by ladybug15057 »

Not a pet store, but still a major complaint:

Currently I feel the need to start a complaint thread regarding certain web sites. If you have a site that states harmful/lethal hermie information please feel free to complain about them either in this thread or another under the complaints section.
The internet can be a wonderful place for information on various things, but one can also come across harmful/lethal information as well.
Recently the localreps had an Emergency Form come in for help with a hermie. A site they came across stated to rinse a hermie with tap water. The chlorine in tap water is known to cause blisters on a hermies gills. Damage done to the gills (and abdomens) are not regenerated when a hermie molts.
Sites link:http://www.hermitcrabs.org/index.html

The harmful/lethal FAQ's:
http://www.hermitcrabs.org/faq.html

Please, if anybody decides to contact any sites mentioned on CSJ, please do use manners and facts, do not act like some crazy crab person. Facts with manners go a lot further and many times the reader is more likely to consider what is being mentioned.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Re: Incorrect hermie care information site

Post by CrabbyJo »

Agreed.

The best way to approach a website that has bad info is to state something like this:

"I noticed on your website that you mention that the proper way to do (such and such) with your hermie is (blah blah blah).
A lot of research has been done just in the past year, and it has been found that (such and such) is actually harmful to hermit crabs, as it (does this and that to them).
An accepted practice that has been found to be beneficial to hermit crabs is to (do this and that and this too), extending their lives in captivity by many years.
I have attached links to articles regarding this, please do take the time to read them, and then please update your website accordingly. The more we can remove outdated hermit crab information off the internet, the more crabs will live long lives in captivity."

I know it's a bit wordy, but you get the idea. :)

I try to do this any time I come across bad info.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

True CrabbyJo sugar attracks more that vinegar does. There is quite a bit about this site that isn't up to par, but the tap water is harmful/lethal. And the tap water knowledge has been around since we got our first hermies here in June 2000 so no excuse for this poor info.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

Yeah, on another forum I'm on I feel like I'm the only person saying to not use playsand, because hey - it's sand, right? :S I think the problem is that the site has a TON of younger members (more than we do here at least) and they spout off information that they read somewhere that may or may not be correct. I had to correct a kid that cheese crackers (Cheese Nips) aren't a good hermit crab food! I mean...seriously?

It feels like an uphill battle, because kids seem less likely to accept that they were wrong than adults. There are some who accept it, but not many.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

emmac350 wrote:It feels like an uphill battle, because kids seem less likely to accept that they were wrong than adults. There are some who accept it, but not many.
I couldn't agree more with that. -.-

I wouldn't be surprised if some of them used to be here, but left because I wasn't going to tolerate bad advice contaminating throughout this place.
Wai
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

This is somewhat off-topic, Wai, but I must say that this forum is one of the best ones I'm on what with good advice given consistently (for the most part), a professional atmosphere, an openness to new ideas/new knowledge in the crabbing field (i.e. playsand being bad, etc.), and good forum policing as to bad information being posted by less knowledgeable members (deleted posts, edited posts, and correct information posted in reply).

Because of that, though, the forum may seem less "fun" to kids looking for forums that are fun and informational, but we do a good job of ensuring only the right info gets out there, and ensuring it's followed. For instance, I'm on one forum where it's taken us 4 months, 2 surface molts, and a streaking incident to finally convince one young member that 13 small-medium crabs need more than a 10g tank. The member's getting another 10g and splitting the crabs up between the two. Still crowded, but it's better than 13 crabs in a 10g.

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

emmac350 wrote:Because of that, though, the forum may seem less "fun" to kids looking for forums that are fun and informational, but we do a good job of ensuring only the right info gets out there, and ensuring it's followed.
True, this forum may seem less fun, but keep in mind that hermit crabs are not toys. Correct advice is much more important than "fun". :P
Wai
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

But it is important to get the correct info out and at the same time try to be understanding about the younger members funds as well. Several sites do enforce COPPA, so the sites one under 13 can join are very limited. And yet they need the correct info. I know of a couple youngsters that got ticked only to go create their own sites. (like what happened here a couple times) Only to take their own bad info and begin posting it on their site. A new crabber does not know this 'creators' age, much less whether their info is correct or not.
Uphill battle, yepper it sure is. But I think most know it is going to take awhile and if it is one site at a time, one pet store at a time it is still a move forward!
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

I actually just wrote a long email to the Smithsonian National Zoo about their Hermit Crab page. Things they're missing, doing wrong, etc. I'm not entirely sure it went through (got an error on their page when I sent it), so I emailed back again asking if my first went through. If it didn't, I'll be writing it again. Maybe if we get something big, like the Smithsonian, into it, crab knowledge will improve?

Mommy to:

ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

I had written to the site I mentioned in the first post, and have made a small step forward. I received a reply and they have removed the one area regarding tap water... now to find time to try to take another small step.
Uphill battle, yes it is, but even if it is small steps forward it is better than not at all.
When you did your letter Emma, did you happen to do a CC to yourself?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)