Comic Book Stores

Report on pet stores that are either doing a great or terrible job of looking after their hermit crabs on display.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Comic Book Stores

Post by CrabbyJo »

What in the world are comic book stores doing with hermit crabs!
I was so sad to go to the mall yesterday and see hermit crabs in two long tanks (only two crabs) with heat lamps on them, the temp was great, but the humidity was only 35%! Omg I was mortified.

I wanted to go to the counter and tell the punk kid there that their hermit crabs were going to die, if they hadn't already, due to the extremely dry air. They were selling the crabs SUPER cheap. They had hermit crab kits to sell along with them, but no tanks, go figure! What were they going to do, suggest they put them in a shoe box or a rubbermaid tub until they could get a tank of some sort?

Today has been busy, but tomorrow I will be typing up a letter to send them about their crabs. I didnt want to talk to them when I saw them because I KNEW I would come across angry and pushy (the mood I was in) and that would just make them not listen all the more. I want to craft my letter well, without emotion clouding up the message too much. Try to appeal to their sense of caring for another living creature.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: Comic Book Stores

Post by Wai »

Oh my, I'm simply relieved to see stores stop selling hermit crabs altogether!

Being in a comic book store, I guess they treat hermit crabs like toys? It's a shame people are dumb and never get the humidity right.
Wai
Sterwick
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 35
Total tanks: 2

Post by Sterwick »

Wai wrote:
Being in a comic book store, I guess they treat hermit crabs like toys? It's a shame people are dumb and never get the humidity right.
I think dumb's the wrong word to use, ignorant yes, but dumb no.

Stevo.
My names stevo These are my hermies: mangon, enco, cocon, theforestgiant. RIP sheldon and tobasco, may you forgive the humans who were treating you in those appaling conditions in the petstore.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by CrabbyJo »

Alright I emailed them a letter and gave them a link to the beginner's article at CSJ, "Are you Ready for a Land Hermit Crab?"

I seriously hope they take it seriously. I kept it light, and told them, "I would love to see you stop selling them altogether, because I'm a hermit crab owner and care so much for them. But I do hope you will take a moment to read over the information in the link, and perhaps rethink selling the little guys, or at least consider giving out good care information when you do sell them."

I did tell them, of course, about modified gills and how the crabs begin to suffocate very, very slowly in a dry atmosphere. I gave suggestions like a huge water bowl with a big sponge (don't care for that one much myself) or moistening the substrate, or even making a moss pit. I cautioned them that it takes time and monitoring to get it stable, but it's worth it.

Hope it makes a diff!
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by CrabbyJo »

I got a response! Here is what they said:
"Joanna,
Thanks for your concern. If you saw how we have progressed since the 1st week we had them, you could see we have made many strides. I will pass on your email to the Dimond Store manager."

I feel this is a big step, and I mentioned quiet a bit about how their gills begin to dry out at below 60% humidity, and they begin to suffocate very, very slowly.

I do hope they take the trouble to visit the web page! I'm proud of them for the strides they have made so far. :)
Sterwick
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 35
Total tanks: 2

Post by Sterwick »

It's great they've replied to your email jo and they are improving!
My names stevo These are my hermies: mangon, enco, cocon, theforestgiant. RIP sheldon and tobasco, may you forgive the humans who were treating you in those appaling conditions in the petstore.
hermie_lover3542
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 17
Total gallons: 84
Total tanks: 5

Post by hermie_lover3542 »

Thats really cool! Now to start with chain pet stores and private pet stores! But I guess one miraclce at a time! :) Now I have a question why does it seem that chain pet store owners no less than private pet store owners? I hope to own a pet store one day, and make sure every animal is cared for properly!
*~-proud hermie mommy of 15-~*
They are Hermie the 2nd(medium pp), T.J.(medium pp), Big Daddy(large pp), Tank(Jumbo pp), Pearl(large pp), DigDug(medium pp), Freaky Fred(small pp),courage(Medium pp), Strawberry Shortcake(small pp), Tiny Timantha(tiny pp), T-rex(giant Indo), Bruce(medium strawberry), Autumn(medium blueberry), and Hor-Hay(medium blueberry).