Where Else?

Report on pet stores that are either doing a great or terrible job of looking after their hermit crabs on display.
YogiMama
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 0
Total gallons: 35
Total tanks: 1

Where Else?

Post by YogiMama »

Hi I am thinking about starting my own Crabitat. However I am anti-pet store. I am an owner or pet mice & rats and I see how cruel pet stores treat their animals. Especially the little critters. I see it goes the same way for hermit crabs too. Well do you guys have any suggestions of where to buy hermit crabs & supplies? I see there is a adoption website. I will fill out the application when I get my cage set up and see if that helps. Unless someone knows of anyone around Chicago IL, US who has them. And for supplies...any good websites that promote the good care of Hermits to buy from? I really dont want to buy from reptile websites either because I keep rats for pets and I think it is cruel how feeder breeders treat them. Thank you!
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Where Else?

Post by ladybug15057 »

Please do make sure you have all the criteria set up for your little ones and do complete an adopter profile. (so happy to hear that you are researching!!)
Summer is around the corner here in the U.S. so many will be buying hermies for souvenirs while on vacation. Some will frantically look for care info while others will put them up for adoption. Your area is one that sometimes does have adoptees in need of a home a couple times a year, but not sure if you want to wait that long.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
YogiMama
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 0
Total gallons: 35
Total tanks: 1

Re: Where Else?

Post by YogiMama »

I actually do not mind the waiting. I would rather wait than to support a pet store. Though I might have to if I can only find one or two for adoption. Since they are pack animals. It will take me some time to gather all the things needed for the terrarium. Maybe by the time it is complete, someone will want to adopt out their souvenir. Its sad that people buy pets just to get rid of them. But hopefully I can rescue some.