Poor crab at pet forum

Report on pet stores that are either doing a great or terrible job of looking after their hermit crabs on display.
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 19
Total tanks: 4

Poor crab at pet forum

Post by Gizaroo »

I ran Into pet forum yesterday to browse and see what hermit crab stuff they had. I picked up 2 nice shells then decided to see what their crabs looked like. The poor things were in small glass aquariums with oystershell bedding and some hermit crab pellet/cakes for food. the tanks were covered with screen lids and the water dishes were disgusting and there was only one water bowl in each tank. The sponge that was in it has some sort of bug larvae crawling around in it. There were 5 tanks for crabs but I only saw one crab in one of the tanks. He was a larger one... Bout the size of a half dollar, maybe a tad smaller. He was a beautiful blue color... But he was just sitting there staring off into space. he had no hermie friends. I felt so bad for him :( there were some leg and claw pieces scattered round the tank. It was horrible :( I wish I could have done something for him. Poor fella :(
"My chief concern is to try to be an humble, earnest Christian."- Robert E. Lee

"If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag."-author unknown

Owned by 2 Belgian malinois, 1 mixed breed, 3 parrots, 3 bettas and 6 hermies: Blu, Skip, Theo, Scuttles, Spudnut, and 3 new E's. Rip Blaze,Luka, and Banjo.
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V

Re: Poor crab at pet forum

Post by Gizaroo »

He looked like a big blueberry. Poor guy...he was so pathetic and sad looking :(

"If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag."-author unknown

Owned by 2 Belgian malinois, 1 mixed breed, 3 parrots, 3 bettas and 6 hermies: Blu, Skip, Theo, Scuttles, Spudnut, and 3 new E's. Rip Blaze,Luka, and Banjo.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

The last pet store I went to had their hermit crabs in a square-based glass tank of low height and no lid. Wood shavings was used as bedding and it was full of painted shells. Urgh.

I'm really tempted to rescue more, but if the 12 I have now grow into jumbos in the future, they will need all the room that my current tank can provide. :(

As of now I will only consider getting more hermit crabs if:
- I am adopting them from someone else,
- The hermit crab in the pet store is the last one left.

If I were you, I may have adopted the lonely hermit crab after having a word with the pet store about their shocking conditions.
Wai
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by Gizaroo »

I may talk to my mom and see if shell let me get him. I know the iso tank I have is small...but it would only be temporary and I can get it set up with the proper humidity now. If she agrees and he is still there Ill get him this week. It'll be better than what he's in now... That's for sure.

Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by Gizaroo »

Yay! Mom said I can get him if he's still there :)

I'm going to be on the lookout for a cheap 10gal tank lol

ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Cheapest new 10 gal tank, Walmart $13. But If you have the extra say 12-20 inches I would suggest a 20 gal long tank. (Craigs list is good, as well as free cycle...and don't forget garage sales!)
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by Gizaroo »

My boyfriend's dad is always going to yard sales...hoping he'll be able to find one for a couple of bucks :) 13 isn't bad, but I'd like to try to find one a bit cheaper. I'd love to be able to get a 20 long...but have nowhere to put it right now sadly. One day though, I'd like to get a 50+ gallon. Saw one the other day on Craigslist for 25 bucks!!!! 8| 8|