Hermit crabs are a living souvenir

Report on pet stores that are either doing a great or terrible job of looking after their hermit crabs on display.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Hermit crabs are a living souvenir

Post by ladybug15057 »

This is not quite a pet store, but does and will ship to customers. I posted this on another forum, but IMO is quite disturbing:

This is just sad. IMO it also encourages the continued buying of these beautiful creatures. Look how large they are and how many years it must of taken to grow to such a large size. Wonder how much longer they will live now that they have been captured??

http://www.delmarvanow.com/article/2010 ... 01/7040303

This is the same place our original hermies came from 10+ years ago....
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 19
Total tanks: 4

Re: Hermit crabs are a living souvenir

Post by Gizaroo »

That is so sad :(
"My chief concern is to try to be an humble, earnest Christian."- Robert E. Lee

"If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag."-author unknown

Owned by 2 Belgian malinois, 1 mixed breed, 3 parrots, 3 bettas and 6 hermies: Blu, Skip, Theo, Scuttles, Spudnut, and 3 new E's. Rip Blaze,Luka, and Banjo.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

Ugh, really? A small plastic container? A few flakes of food? That's all that's needed? That makes me ill.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

That is basically what we were told 10 years ago too from the person who brought them back as souvenirs for my daughter in a critter keeper. "Just give them water, table scraps and they'll be fine. They will only live for 2-3 months anyway". 8| When he found out all they needed he gave us his 10 he brought back that year too. Not once has he bought them again as souvenirs, but when he comes to visit he does check the hermies out. He is shocked they are all still alive (except 2)
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

*Shakes head* :(
Wai
crypticlaman
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 2

Post by crypticlaman »

I think the worst part is when they tell you the life expectancy is so much shorter than it actually is. People dont even know theyve killed them. Dont they wonder where the big ones come from? or do they just assume they are born different sizes...
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

It is sad. For 10 years the person who first brought the ones here would buy 10 every summer as a 'traditional' souvenir to bring home. Sadly by or before fall they were all dead. When my daughter first got hers we went to the library that afternoon. (we did not have a computer here back then) Needless to say it was not the best info but it was quite expensive the next day going to the pet store. Makes me wonder just how many on vacation do this and how many poor hermies had to suffer because of it. :'(
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

hermiesman80
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1
Total gallons: 10

Post by hermiesman80 »

oh. my. god 8| .people like that make me sick >[ they should arrest people like that :|.Un #$%&*@# cool >[ >[ >[
Last edited by hermiesman80 on 23 Sep 2010, 10:10, edited 1 time in total.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

I'm guessing that hundreds of hermit crabs around the world die in pet stores everyday...
Wai