PetSmart Nashville

Report on pet stores that are either doing a great or terrible job of looking after their hermit crabs on display.
Ameretat
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 2

PetSmart Nashville

Post by Ameretat »

We have been getting most of our supplies from PetSmart for our slowly emerging 55 gallon tank. One of the things that has been tinking us off is their treatment of their crabs. I had finally spoke up about it to the store manager. I advised him of the mites, the continously dead crabs left days on in, the lack of food and water for their crabs. He said he would talk to the manager of the Aquatic department. We went back a week later and found that conditions became worse because there were highly visable mite eggs in several of the shells. We drove to a PetSmart 20 minutes away and complained about it while purchasing two crabs from a tank that was more than passable. The store rep said she would tell her boss to see if they could get the other store to change. Nothing changed. Last weekend, my daugther and I took pictures to show corporate office. I wrote an email to them and actually got a reply back.

Dear Simone,

Thank you for your e-mail and for bringing this to our attention. I
have taken the liberty of entering a customer complaint on your behalf.
Your complaint will be addressed by a member of our Management Team
within 3-5 business days, and you can expect a reply at that time.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience or frustration this may
have caused you, and we appreciate the opportunity you have given us to
set the matter right.

Sincerely,

Karen

PetSmart Customer Care

Original Message Follows:
------------------------
Key: ContactUs
Phone:
Email: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
ReasonForEmail: Tell us what we can improve upon
StoreLocation: 719 Thompson Lane Nashville, TN 37204
Date: 8/14/2010
Time: Morning

Comments:

Since this is the closest store to us, we visit it often. My family is
redesigning our 55 gallon hermit crab tank. And have been buying
supplies and equipment for it. We had considered getting hermit crabs
from the store but it sickens me every time I go to this store to see
the inhumane treatment of the hermit crabs. No water or food. Dead crabs
for a week or two left in the tank. Lots of mites to the point I see
that mite eggs are lain in the empty shells. I purchased one healthy
crab to spare it. But I had to give it a serious salt bath for five
minutes and then isolated it for a week to insure that it didn't have
mite eggs inside its shell. I had spoken to the manager about the
improper way the hermit crabs were being treated and he said he would
talk to the aquatic manager regarding it. A week later and nothing
changed. My daughter and I wanted to add a very small crab to our family
but were disgusted at the conditions. We drove to a PetSmart 20 minutes
away in Cool Springs that had a much better cared for tank than the one on Thompson
Lane. I took pictures this past Saturday of how improperly the tank is
cared for. For a store that is suppose to be a leader in animal care
it's a shame that hermit crabs are so obviously not in the same regard
as the cats, dogs, or fish.

Edited by moderator to remove e-mail address.
hermie_lover3542
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 17
Total gallons: 84
Total tanks: 5

Re: PetSmart Nashville

Post by hermie_lover3542 »

Wow I hope that they change the set up. I have asked that same question about why they don't take care of hermit crabs, but they do of ctas, dogs etc. Wai has said before, "society thinks crustaceans=food" I know it's hard but you unfortunatley can't stop that. I know around here at a petsmart up in uniontown has a good set-up no painted shells, 2 water dishes, srtill pellet food :S but they do have no mites, never saw a dead hermit, and proper climbing material, and substrate, even better they had a thermometer! I get my crabs there usually or at a closer pet store. But anyway I thought it was good that you stood up and talked to the manager and cooperate! :D
*~-proud hermie mommy of 15-~*
They are Hermie the 2nd(medium pp), T.J.(medium pp), Big Daddy(large pp), Tank(Jumbo pp), Pearl(large pp), DigDug(medium pp), Freaky Fred(small pp),courage(Medium pp), Strawberry Shortcake(small pp), Tiny Timantha(tiny pp), T-rex(giant Indo), Bruce(medium strawberry), Autumn(medium blueberry), and Hor-Hay(medium blueberry).
blondy627
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 65

Post by blondy627 »

hermie_lover3542 wrote: I know around here at a petsmart up in uniontown has a good set-up no painted shells,
I work for a humane society who has an adoption center in a Petsmart. I've been in the store for 3 years and have made friends there. Because I have an "in" I know the real reason they are not selling crabs in painted shells or extra shells with paint right now. They found that the paint had lead in it and was making the HUMANS sick from handling them. They don't want customers knowing because they probably don't want to refund for all the "recalled" shells. Unfortunatly, they will start selling them again (at least in my area) once the company restocks their lead free paint. ^)
hermie_lover3542
Zoea II
Zoea II

Oh.....sorry to hear that. Around here they have had no painted shells fo a few years now. It is one of the best pet stores around. Oh and not to sound weird but where are your pet stores around?
They are Hermie the 2nd(medium pp), T.J.(medium pp), Big Daddy(large pp), Tank(Jumbo pp), Pearl(large pp), DigDug(medium pp), Freaky Fred(small pp),courage(Medium pp), Strawberry Shortcake(small pp), Tiny Timantha(tiny pp), T-rex(giant Indo), Bruce(medium strawberry), Autumn(medium blueberry), and Hor-Hay(medium blueberry).
blondy627
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by blondy627 »

I live in upstate New York.
hermie_lover3542
Zoea II
Zoea II

Oh so it is a little up ways from down here. I do hope that your pet stores inmprove up there, but do you have any good pet stores?
blondy627
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by blondy627 »

I wouldn't necessarily say its a bad pet store... just very mis informed and under educated with hermit crabs. They do have plenty of climbing things, extra shells, hiding spots, food (commercial of course), fresh carrot on occasion, and coconut substrate (about half an inch), misted a few times a day. That is the closest pet store to me other than feed stores. I was so happy I heard a manager tell a customer that the kritter keeper should only be used to transport them home, to get a 10 gal tank, and natural shells. I was impressed...
hermie_lover3542
Zoea II
Zoea II

Wow I can't believe that. The way I tell pet stores they need to improve is if I ask for a certain product, and if they say there out they usually suggest something that is a hermit crab product (it's usually toxic) so I slide in my words about the proper ways for hermit crab care.

Another thing off topic, but one time when I had first got my 60 gal. I was getting new supplies like a heater, eco earth, and somethinjg else I can't think of, and the lady asked what I was getting it for. I simply said my hermit crabs! This was right when they were gonna clost to it was around 8:00 pm and copuld you imagine the look on her face! This was the look 8| ya.......It was funny.
ZuZu
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 29
Total tanks: 1

Post by ZuZu »

whoa! i have the same first name as you Simone :P ! I hate people who do that, but seriously I've never heard of anybody here with the same name 8| . anyway the pet smart near me had dead crabs galore :'( it was rather like a grave yard :@ i swear if I could have any job I would make a store for crabs that actualy CARES about their animals. I mean seriously! -.-
I love my five hermies:
Bumper, the socialite leader
Sticky, The Devourer
Shy Guy, Name says all.
Rose, hyper, never sleeps
Sharky, micro version of ShyGuy
Celebrating 5 years of Crabisism XD
hermie_lover3542
Zoea II
Zoea II

I agree Zuzu I keep tellnig my mom I want to open a crab store lol! :P