Pets paradise Australia

Report on pet stores that are either doing a great or terrible job of looking after their hermit crabs on display.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: Pets paradise Australia

Post by Wai »

You do indeed get to learn their distinct personalities. Some of mine are more shy and timid than others. Even when they are cuddled together, the same one or two always feel the need to run away to the nearest cave when I approach lol.
Wai
Mim
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 0

Post by Mim »

Its funny that the first 2 I got are still in hiding... 1 is only just starting to come out of his shell (Pardon the pun) yet the 2 I got a few days ago are so active!! Watching one of them last night push the grumpy one around was a crack up!! They are just so much fun to watch when they are like that!! Little Stripey has been doing his best to burrow out of the tank... Spent 2 hours last night trying...lol
ZuZu
Zoea I
Zoea I
Total gallons: 29

Post by ZuZu »

I have got four crabs, three are totally social but hence his name shy-guy STILL will not get used to me and its been what? two years! some are just shy :) well if I wait long enough while holding he will come out. I mean he LIKES me but just really superstitious ya might say ;)
I love my five hermies:
Bumper, the socialite leader
Sticky, The Devourer
Shy Guy, Name says all.
Rose, hyper, never sleeps
Sharky, micro version of ShyGuy
Celebrating 5 years of Crabisism XD
Jennie
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 18
Total gallons: 70
Total tanks: 3

Post by Jennie »

I get mine from City Farmer in Belmont WA, they have a great set-up except the sand is too shallow. The main carer of them in the job is a real crab fan and taught me heaps. I had already brought 2 from a pet shop and was completely clueless on what care they needed (I am ashamed to say I told my sons they didn't live for long) but they set me straight there with a 4pg handout on care care and needs. I wish more shops are like that.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

It's a shame there hasn't been a pet store tank that I was really impressed with. Encountering a tank with high humidity is already considered lucky to me.
Wai
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

(I am ashamed to say I told my sons they didn't live for long)
When the first hermies were brought here for my daughter I was told they only live 2-3 months. Throw table scraps at them, give them water, and had a plastic critter keeper. Went to the library and researched some... well, that was 10+ years ago and majority of them are still here. Had 6 of ours, and 4 still alive and they gave us their 10 and all of them are still alive.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Mim
Zoea I
Zoea I
Total gallons: 0

Post by Mim »

I went to town today & while the hubby was in bunnings, I went to the pet shop..
Now feel so guilty!! They only had 2 left.. In seperate tanks... 1 in a painted shell who just looked so lonely... Was just sitting in a corner looking at the other tank...
The other looked like it was ready to moult... Had no colour.. Was just grey... Looked so ill!!
I desperately wanted to save them... But didn't want to bring sick crabs back... But wanted to save them.....