Releasing ones from pet stores?

Report on pet stores that are either doing a great or terrible job of looking after their hermit crabs on display.
Jennie
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 18
Total gallons: 70
Total tanks: 3

Re: Releasing ones from pet stores?

Post by Jennie »

I got some square dowel and flyscreen from the hardware, cut the dowel to size and screwed it together in a square the size of the tank lid section (my tank has two lid sections, so two screens), it is a bit wonky but works! Then I stapled the flyscreen to it, (could be nailed or sewned on). I did use metal flyscreen, you can get plastic stuff to but I was worried they would be able to snip through it. Mine walk upside down on the flyscreen all the time. I keep an eye on it, no problems so far. But if it started to rust I would just take the flyscreen off the dowel frames and replace it. The flyscreen itself was only about $5. I got all the bits from Bunnings but I am sure any hardware would do.

cheers Jennie
FreeCrabby
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 0
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 0

Post by FreeCrabby »

Thanks Jennie and Ladybug!

I went back to the store today as I was close to it and they had more big ones so I dont know which one it was :( - anyway I then noticed a second tank I hadnt on my first trip in there - in the second tank there were shells everywhere - no signs of life - dont think there was food in there - but out of one shell was a dead hermit crab lying just outside of the shell - was so heartbreaking - it was all clear looking so must have been there for a while - anyway I didnt say anything. Just decided I wasnt going to buy from them. Wondering if I should print out Wai's care sheet and give it to them - BUT they have all other rare animals in there that are all taken care of really well - no other dead animals in all the cages and they are all clean - kittens, dogs, birds, reptiles - its just the hermies tank - so they would know better and how to take care of them as they can with all the others - I am guessing they are just not caring...

Wai and Jennie should I report them or just ring them and say I am concerned about their hermit habitats? (I just ask you as you may know something about Aussie laws - surely you cant have dead animals in pet stores....)

I went to another pet store today to as I was Christmas shopping in that centre and their tank is set up really well with different water and clean looking and a heat light etc - the crabs are all moving about! Was a nice change to see BUT they were in a substrate of soft tissue like stuff (not sure what it is called) I asked why that substrate and they said they get more surviving when they use it compared to the other substrates which are colder (most pet stores I have seen them in use pebbles or some type of rock substrate) - anyway would that material stuff be okay for short term? Some had it stuck in their shells.. its like that thick tissue type substance ripped up.. I ask because if it wont kill them I may get a couple from them...
Jennie
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 18
Total gallons: 70
Total tanks: 3

Post by Jennie »

I don't know if there are any laws which protect them. So sad. Maybe open a new thread asking for Aussie crabber input as there are quite a few here much more experienced then me. Otherwise you could write a letter to the store saying that the conditions were very upsetting and how surprised/disappointed you were that they did not care for thier crabs considering the other animals were well looked after. You could include with your letter one of the care guides from here.

I buy my crabs through City Farmers. I don't know if they are all good but the one near me is very good, with a four page hand-out on crab care. they have a heatmat, sand, deep bowls of fresh and salt water and lots of hides for the crabs.

Don't know about the tissue substrate, doesn't sound good.

cheers Jennie
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

I don't think the animal laws really protect invertebrates... thus access to quality care information for them is lacking. I've tried reporting pet stores too, but I didn't notice any results, so I assume organisations like the RSPCA don't care. They go jumping up and down over a puppy in a pet store that looks a bit malnutritioned, yet they seem to be blind to all the dead hermit crabs in their tank.

You are better off helping each pet store directly. You may print out our care sheet for them. Just make sure that you have the latest version on hand before giving them out each time. :)

In regards to the tissue substrate - is it that gunk called CareFresh? Hermit crabs literally emit no body heat to warm up the substrate, so that bedding will just be as cold as any other unless a proper heat source is installed. The pet store should be trying to keep their hermit crabs warm with a proper heat source, not a bedding that only keeps mammals warm.

It's hard to sum up things in a simple way for pet stores, but I guess you can tell them that hermit crab setups should be similar to frog setups (warm and humid), but with deep bedding for them to bury into. If the bedding is not suitable for frogs, then it shouldn't be used for hermit crabs.
Wai
FreeCrabby
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 0
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 0

Post by FreeCrabby »

Thanks Wai and Jennie - I may write them a letter and put in Wais care sheet to!

If I go back today Wai to get a couple from the 2nd store I will mention what you say - will take my electrical humidity/temp tester with me to! I dont know what its called but its all fluffy and tissue like - like hard bits of clumps with it and bits hanging of and its birght pink!