Releasing ones from pet stores?

Report on pet stores that are either doing a great or terrible job of looking after their hermit crabs on display.
FreeCrabby
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 0
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 0

Releasing ones from pet stores?

Post by FreeCrabby »

I am looking at possibly getting a few crabs - so will probably be asking a few questions over the next few days! However I was wondering - whilst doing my research - that some said they are all taken from the wild? So in theory if I wanted to "rescue" some I could buy them and release where I know there are more?

Just I went into a pet store last week and there was a huge one - about golf ball size? and I just felt so sorry for it. Are big ones many years old? If I was to buy the poor thing and release it would it survive?
Jennie
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 18
Total gallons: 70
Total tanks: 3

Re: Releasing ones from pet stores?

Post by Jennie »

You might be able to but it would have to be of the same breed as the wild ones in the place you release it too. For example in Perth, Western Australia, where I live people think we have land hermit crabs but actually the ones on our beaches here are marine crabs. The land hermit crabs come from much higher up the coast line. Any hermit crab released here would quickly die from cold. Certainly it is not something I would do without learning much more about the crabs and the local area. I would talk to your local government wildlife agency and see if they have more info. It is so easy to do the wrong thing. Australia's local fauna has been badly damaged by people releasing the wrong creatures into the wild.

cheers Jennie
FreeCrabby
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by FreeCrabby »

Thanks Jennie! I actually researched it some more on the net and found its not a great idea at all and it would most likely die :( - I am going back in a couple days so if its still there I will grab him and hopefully give him a chance - but then since its my first batch I might leave him as I am sure I am on a huge learning curve atm!

I was speaking to a pet store owner and he said a lot of the crabs in our brissie shops are from far north australia - I think he was saying WA or NT even.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

but then since its my first batch I might leave him as I am sure I am on a huge learning curve atm!
Just my opinion, but this hermies chances with an active member researching and learning all they can, he has a better chance of survival than he does at the pet store.
But... to buy him may also leave a spot for another to take his place if this pet store does not have decent conditions?
Tough decision... good luck with what you opt to do!
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
FreeCrabby
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by FreeCrabby »

Thanks Ladybug! If he is still there I may grab him! Will let you all know! :)
Jennie
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Jennie »

oh I didn't notice you were Aussie *| I am such a dork! Yes, they are harvested from WA but right near the top near Broome and Darwin in the NT.

I found my hermies to be quite tough through my beginners learning curve, I lost two over the top of the tank - so be warned, they can climb the silicon joint in the tank corner 8| . I agree with Ladybug - he is FAR more likely to survive with you as most people just don't do the research and give them their basic requirements. I have a couple of the bigger golf ball sized ones and I really like them but they are more likely to be aggressive too, so make sure you have an iso tank to put him in and give him lots of yummy food/shells etc so he isn't feeling desperate when he goes into your main tank. The only other crabs I have lost were from this situation, they were killed by an aggressive new comer who is fine now but I didn't know to isolate him and my crabs paid the price.

cheers Jennie
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

Jennie, did you try looking for the two that climbed out? I almost lost one in winter, but I managed to catch him before I went to bed that night.
Wai
Jennie
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Jennie »

I did but I only realized they were gone when I did a deep clean so they could have been missing for ages. Also my house is crammed packed with stuff, and it is really old so there are cracks under the skirtings where they can get into the walls. It was two teenies who escaped, 6 months ago now. I never saw any sign of them. :( I did have a big crab escape too but he was pretty easy to find (or rather my cat found him but he was fine!). Now I have a flyscreen cover which lives under the glass covers so I can adjust airflow with no worries about crab escapees.
FreeCrabby
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by FreeCrabby »

Thanks Jennie - it is nice to know where they come from! I do have to do something about my corners to as they are huge gaps - and I need to do it today as getting them tommorow! Flyscreen is okay? Just asking because I thought all metal type objects needed to be away from the tank as they could rust? it doesnt rust and or its okay cause its on top and you can see/check it all the time?
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Fly screen should be fine, just keep an eye on it. Here in U.S. they also make it out of nylon too... which does not rust and it appears to have smaller holes too.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.