petco

Report on pet stores that are either doing a great or terrible job of looking after their hermit crabs on display.
krazykrablady
Zoea I
Zoea I

petco

Post by krazykrablady »

I couldn't find anyone at petco who knew much about crabs... all this chick could tell me about em is what was on the care sheet... :S I had really wanted to buy a couple more hermies, but it looked like only straws and ruggies... I've got pp's and I'm not quite sure how the mix would do together, so I asked, and she was like, "there's different kinds?" :@
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

She's not the only pet shop owner who's like that. They're like my desktop publishing teacher.

"Miss?"
"Yes?"
"What do I do after typing this text?"
"Read what the photocopy says."
"But I don't understand what the photocopy says."
"(reads the instructions). Now try it yourself."
"..."
Wai
Jaci
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by Jaci »

i hope no one part of this forum works at petco because i've been to 3, no one has been knowledgeable about hermies. they didn't know the optimum temp or humidity for them, didn't know anything about food (they pointed where it was located), couldn't help me pick out a shell for tweek. it was kind of pathetic. i've stopped asking any pet store about hermies, i come here.
hermiesrokmysox
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 7

Post by hermiesrokmysox »

it's quite insane if you ask me!!
Hello, don't you think that if you are hired to work at a pet shop, you should know enough info about PETS to take care of them correctly?!!?

I know i had a chance to talk to a really nice clerk at Petland. He said he wasn't in charge of the painted shells, he had only been working there for about a month. He seemed really nice though. i should send in a care sheet, a proper one.
~Jilli
♥Hollywood♥LittleRed♥Qwerty♥Peanut♥Sprite♥Pip♥Paisly
http://hermielog2008.blogspot.com/
hey, im back. :)
krazykrablady
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by krazykrablady »

there was a guy working there when I bought em that seemed to know a bit.. he also helped me pick out the stuff for the crabitat! I went back hoping he'd be there, but aparently I went on his day off... I plan on visiting him again soon! :)
Jaci
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by Jaci »

petland...where are those? we just have petcos here in missouri. petsmarts are hard to find also. the closest one to cape is 80+ miles away.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

jacicauthon wrote:i hope no one part of this forum works at petco because i've been to 3, no one has been knowledgeable about hermies. they didn't know the optimum temp or humidity for them, didn't know anything about food (they pointed where it was located), couldn't help me pick out a shell for tweek. it was kind of pathetic. i've stopped asking any pet store about hermies, i come here.
I'd doubt that most of them would even bother researching online about hermit crabs, let alone join communities like this one.
Wai
Verne
Zygote
Zygote

pet stores

Post by Verne »

I agree with all messages,it seems that there isn't anyone in the stores that is knowlegable regarding crabs . I have Petco and Petsmart in my town and they both have problems caring for their boys.
From my own experience I find it is better to go on line and get all your information from sites like this one .
Bad information is worse then no information.
Verne
Jaci
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by Jaci »

i had a friend who used to work in a brand new petco in st louis. she said that they were trained for a week. they apparently learned a little about each animal. when asked, she said that they spent 1 day each on cats, dogs small animals (hampsters, rabbits etc) and birds. fish and reptiles were covered in 1 day (reptiles included hermit crabs, snakes, frogs, lizards, etc). so obviously, they're not trained well in anything of the reptile/aquatic section. kinda sad. if i weren't allergic to furry animals, i would work there and ask to be put in charge of the hermit crabs. lol
hermiesrokmysox
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 7

Post by hermiesrokmysox »

jacicauthon, cool to hear what they learned! now i know why their info is so poor. I have been crabbing for almost a year, and still probably haven't learned it all! 8|
Petlands i think are just local area for me, in Ohio.
On this page, the green states are the ones with Petlands:
http://www.petland.com/FindPetlandStore ... States.htm
♥Hollywood♥LittleRed♥Qwerty♥Peanut♥Sprite♥Pip♥Paisly
http://hermielog2008.blogspot.com/
hey, im back. :)