misscrabby2you
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Exercise ideas?

Post by misscrabby2you »

Who has a good idea of exercise for hermit crabs?
jmmc137
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 3

Re: Exercise ideas?

Post by jmmc137 »

The hand treadmill
Instructions:first you get ur crab and put him/her in ur hand. Second they will walk so when they get to the edge of ur hand bring ur other hand under and infront of ur first hand.
Purpose: This will demonstrate the distance they walk daily(miles).
ja'wuan's crabs=sam(^=^) dylan=] annie;>
In a better place=Larry
Chermo
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 20

Post by Chermo »

Small hamster ball, the smallest one, I have it and Kermi loves being in it since she can roam all over without me having to catch her before she goes somewhere she will get stuck. I have to watch my cat but otherwise it is a fun thing for them.
Proud mommy of 2 beautiful daughters Kytana and Danica, 1 cat Princess and 1 dog Liebschen

Due to family issues my crabs have been adopted out to wizkidsmom (Cheryl), I know she will care for them like I did. Thanks Cheryl

RIP Orangy June 2009
Animal
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 0

Post by Animal »

jmmc137 wrote:The hand treadmill
Instructions:first you get ur crab and put him/her in ur hand. Second they will walk so when they get to the edge of ur hand bring ur other hand under and infront of ur first hand.
Purpose: This will demonstrate the distance they walk daily(miles).
I trained my past mice to do this but I would put it up near my shoulder, she would climb down onto my hand and so on. But mice seem to be more balanced tham hermit crabs, so I would just to the hand. :)
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
crabbylvr336
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1

Exercise ideas?

Post by crabbylvr336 »

I just moved into a new house and the floors are really dirty and i can tell my hermi is getting tired of my hands and my bed. What should i do to make sure he has enough exercise? thanks!
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

All of the ideas in this thread are great ideas in that situation - small baby pool with climbing stuff in it, even a large rubbermaid with stuff in it, hamster ball...the only limit is your creativity.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
HermieLove19
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 19
Total gallons: 70
Total tanks: 2

Post by HermieLove19 »

Awesome baby pool jungle gym! I wanted to use another crabbers idea and make a mini jungle gym out of the plastic from Michaels and glue sponges and coral and things to it. Micheals has huge pieces of cholla wood for 3.99. I'm not sure about the sponges but they also have shells and fake plants and flowers. Every week they put out a 40% off coupon in the paper, in the email newsletter, or right on your receipt after you buy something! So everyday you can go in with a coupon and buy a piece of the jungle gym.
Kerri :)
Fozzy+Bloo+George+Richard+Tabitha+Mr.Krabz+Sandy+Eugene+Tigery
Gumby+Philip+Nameless+Breuer+KVD+Sonya+Patchie+Patrick+2 adopted hermies

Rufus Shawn
cometstream
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 55

Post by cometstream »

I adopted big ones thinking they would be small and there huge pincher freaks me out. so I don't use the hand treadmill. recently my parents bought me some EE and I thought the bag was in this blue bag with all these other bags. reached in there a crab pinched my (wasn't a hermit crab though) later my crabs had the crab meat mwa ha ha ha. really wanted to boil that crab >] . I do use a kid pool from toys r us. we were going to use it for our dog but he doesn't like it that much so we put the crabs in it. I may take out nibs for the hand thing who is a small crab for that but he always is burrowed in the ground for the day.
Mim
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 0

Post by Mim »

I saw somewhere that it should be ok to use an upside down washing basket for them to climb on??
I like the idea of the kiddy pool as I have a massive chunk of coral for them thats too big for the tank that they would love to climb on...

How often should I take them out to play?? I have 2 brand newies that I will leave for a while, but the others seem to be going a bit spare in the tank.... ^)