Hermit crab needs new home

For off-topic chat. Please introduce yourself here.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: Hermit crab needs new home

Post by emmac350 »

I will say that I've moved my crabs multiple times cross-country with few to no issues. It's tricky, but I've taken them several hundred miles on their way to their babysitters' while I'm out of the country. Alabama to Wisconsin and back, 3 years later. Alabama to Texas 8 months later (where they are now).

Don't get me wrong, it's not easy. But it's doable. You have to simplify the tank considerably (those extra shells will constantly bang into the glass, annoying all near). Depending on tank size, you will sacrifice some amount of your back seat, and the tank needs to be seriously secure. The crabs are very active while they're moving by car, and tend to be much more quiet at night. Night is when you need to make sure they have plenty of food and water and shells to help them destress. Stopping for a day or two in the middle is also helpful. In spring/fall/winter, you should take them in at night but I've found, at least in the American south, that the nightime temperatures are fine for crabs. Monitor the temperature in the back and humidity very carefully; I recommend putting a blanket or towel over the top of the tank to keep humidity in.

With all the times I've moved my crabs, I haven't had a single death immediately after a move to my knowledge (certainly not on the surface, but their babysitters saw all crabs for several months and molts after the moves). Just a thought.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
pkoo
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 0
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 0

Post by pkoo »

Thanks. That's so encouraging. I was wondering how to transport the crab. I'm planning to take the whole crabitat. Good tip about the rattling shells and what to expect along the way. My travel time will hopefully be a lot less than what you've done ~ 2.5hrs.
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Total gallons: 57
Total tanks: 1

Post by appps »

We are looking forward to the arrival of stripey. It even spured me on to finally replace my broken waterfall so he will have lots of places to swim and play :-) and get on here and see what everyone has been up to!

Now don't get me wrong I am not suggesting this lol but when we bought two of ours it was from a pet store about an hour away. They travelled home in a plastic cup! We panicked the whole time they would get out and ds had to keep his hand over the top. Yikes! Never occurred to us to bring something to transport them, figured the Petshop would have it covered ( silly us, have learnt a lot since then).
Remember that in the wild the temps drop dramatically overnight so a short trip in less than optimal temps shouldn't worry him too much.

Have got one question for our experts, as stripey has been on his own for quite some time we shouldn't need to quarentine him should we?
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
pkoo
Zygote
Zygote

Post by pkoo »

The big day has come! It time for Stripey to make the trip to his new home. Thanks Annette for being willing to adopt him. I will be packing the car shortly and hitting the road. I'll/We'll keep you posted on how it goes!!
:-)
pkoo
Zygote
Zygote

Post by pkoo »

Stripey is now with his new "adopted" Mum. He managed the drive no problems and will stay in his own crabitat for a bit before getting the all clear to join the other crabs. He's probably oblivious to all the fuss, but I'm pretty excited for him. The tank is much bigger than what he's used to and he'll have crabby friends again after a long absence. :) :) :) Over to you now Annette to give any further update.

Thanks to everyone who joined this thread and either supported this move with great advice or offers of help making it possible!
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Post by aussieJJDude »

Congrats on the successful adoption, I glad you found someone pkoo! :)
I really looking forward to some updates & pics appps!
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by appps »

No photo ops I'm afraid. He buried under that night and we are still waiting for him to pop his head back up. Very frustrating lol but quite understandable I guess after all the vibrations driving here.

I was thinking I might move the tank to a quieter location as he probably feels the vibrations as we walk past on the timber floor where he is too.

Have got his temps and humidity matching mine now so at least there won't be any shock on that side of things when he moves over so guess it's not a bad thing he's adapting underground.
Annette
Turbo since 29/09/2011

pkoo
Zygote
Zygote

Post by pkoo »

Hi Annette,
Stripey is a bit of a night owl. Have you noticed him digging up the place overnight? Otherwise his favourite times to go "walkies" is on days like today. HOT & HUMID! Hope you guys are keeping cool down there. :)
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by appps »

No dying of the heat actually the air con keeps tripping the fuse and the repairman won't be here till Monday.
Had never realised just how much easier it made crabbing, I've even had to open lids to keep the temps down. Feels like a cool change is on the way though thank goodness!

I've not seen him move at all think he is sulking lol. I did move him to a quieter spot this morning though so he wasn't feeling the vibrations every time someone walked past. Hopefully that will entice him out. Will keep a look at night too!
Annette
Turbo since 29/09/2011

pkoo
Zygote
Zygote

Post by pkoo »

Fingers-crossed! I think the quieter location will help. Trying not to be anxious for the little guy. Even said a prayer for him last night. :-)