first time hermit crab owner and so very excites

For off-topic chat. Please introduce yourself here.
paigeeliz77
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 3

first time hermit crab owner and so very excites

Post by paigeeliz77 »

So not going to lie I feel guilty for the reasons and lack of preparation of my adopting a hermit crab but I am still thrilled and have been wanting one for awhile.
Long story short the 2 year passing of my best friend from college is coming up and one thing he always made sure I did was get the small animal pets I wanted and had researched/enough funds and time for but didn't want my family to freak out about. Normally I have everything ready and have done all the research for a pet before I adopt. But picking things up for my parents dogs I saw this small adorable little hermit crab. I figured I had a 10 gallon tank, sand at home but got a beginners kit with food, water additives sponges and all that good stuff.
I was just hoping people wouldn't mind sharing their wisdom and typical behavior when you first bring them home. He/she was much smaller than the other one at the pet store so I believe they are young.
Also how do you design their homes? What kind of treats do they like?
Best ways to bond and be able to handle them?
How bad does it really hurt when you get pinched? I've been bit by pet rats and that kills.
Finally can you help me with names?
My fiancé likes the name clamps a robot from futurerama but I'm just not sure.
Oh and since I brought them home they first were very active in a small habit while I got the other one ready he seems to come out fully and roams a little in the temporary large plastic crate until I find the tank but it took him awhile to drink any of the fresh water and he hasn't touched the salt water.

Man sorry for such a long post. I apologize of I offend anyone with my lack of preparation but I have never done something like this and am a very responsible pet owner.
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Re: first time hermit crab owner and so very excites

Post by aussieJJDude »

Meh, probably 90% of people on this forum started out in the similar boat! :D It's pretty common, but at least you when further to what most people did and did some proper research.
I'd like to say that a lot of your questions are found already in this forum. :) If you're looking for some quick answers, I'd suggest the search bar (top right corner) and search away at your leisure!

Many people seem to go with a naturalistic theme; mostly "beachy" or "jungly"... Or a mix of both. Other just enjoy cramming things in there - which is something I am guilty of. As long as it has the basics (the right substrate, food, water, heat, humidity & shells) then the sky's the limit. I like to include a mixture of climbing/hiding spaces, with the crabs love. I also like to include levels in the tank, gives them more ground to run around on and I like to keep the food dishes and shells on the levels to reduce the mess that our little friends can make.
My setups usually consist of an area that has loads of hiding places; so they can have an option of where they want to go. I also like to include a space where its open, so the crabs can have the option of running around. Usually this is along the front, where I keep the first couple of inches bare so the crabs can run from one end to the other.
Each crab like different things. My first colony really enjoyed their meats but my current group really like to eat corn (off the cob!)...So experiment with different things, most people have noted that their crabs love food that gives off an odor. Mangos, pineapple, fish, shrimp, crab, coconut.... I'm sure you get the idea!
I'm a firm believer of the hands off approach; due to the fact that their little tanks are their "life-support". Unless we live in the tropics, it's highly unlikely that our homes can support a crabs humidity and temperature needs. However some do take their crabs out for a run, which I'm sure those crabbers will chime in. But it's something I'm interested in trying out once I finish school and note a difference in the behaviour of the crabs.
There really bad pinching and then there's pinching. The "normal" pinching is when you might be holding a crab who is scared, wants you to back off or just feels like he is going to fall off you. Most of the time the crab will stop pinching once he feels safe again or is given space. The bad pinching is 100x worse, even the small ones can pack a punch. Not to mention that will not be as likely to let go - enjoying our screams and tears... - and trying to pry the crab off results in a tighter/more painful hold. I've had both; and I like to add - ramble - that the bad pinching is common with newer crabs. And I've found that once the crabs become use to you, they less likely to pinch. I use to have a crab that would clamp down for 5 mins at a time if I tried to move/help him for whatever reason, and after the first couple of months he just stopped and would just tolerate me - like an unaffectionate softy.
I'm horrible with names, I enjoyed naming mine after how they acted/looked, was passionate with - at the time - or a naming theme.... EG: my one of my first females was called Kiwii and the other was called Peanut. Kiwii because of the green shell that she was in when I purchased her and how brown she was - like a reversed kiwi fruit... - and the other because she was soo small that I jokingly called her peanut all the time and it stuck. After that, I call all my other females that came to me ending with a double "I" (Sandii, Candii ect...)

Also, do you have one crab or more. Just letting you know if you didn't already; hermit crabs really enjoy other hermies around to play with.
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.