Where to buy a crab.

For off-topic chat. Please introduce yourself here.
mak0124
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

Where to buy a crab.

Post by mak0124 »

So someone said they might send me food. Atm, i dont have any meat so there NO way im putting 2 crabs together. However once i do have meat food, where do you suggest to buy a crab? I prefer a PP since thats the current one i have. My petsmart does not have one and petco is no where near where i live. :D
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Re: Where to buy a crab.

Post by aussieJJDude »

I've got no idea of your dietary requirements, but many of the "meats" that you eat are fine for the hermies... Cooked, uncooked ect... they don't mind, just try not to offer it "seasoned". Its often better to cook the meat as well, especially if dealing with chicken, to reduce salmonella.
If you don't offer meat in a few days, the crabs aren't going to kill each other. Trying to offer it regularly is best, but its not something that you have to feed all the time.
I personally don't like to buy crabs, but prefer adopting them. Have you checked out craigslist or similar sites where you could adopt crabs for free or for a smaller price? Sometimes, the owners also include the shells and stuff which you can use!
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
mak0124
Zygote
Zygote

Post by mak0124 »

aussieJJDude wrote:I've got no idea of your dietary requirements, but many of the "meats" that you eat are fine for the hermies... Cooked, uncooked ect... they don't mind, just try not to offer it "seasoned". Its often better to cook the meat as well, especially if dealing with chicken, to reduce salmonella.
If you don't offer meat in a few days, the crabs aren't going to kill each other. Trying to offer it regularly is best, but its not something that you have to feed all the time.
I personally don't like to buy crabs, but prefer adopting them. Have you checked out craigslist or similar sites where you could adopt crabs for free or for a smaller price? Sometimes, the owners also include the shells and stuff which you can use!
Yes i checked craiglist and found nothing.
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65

Post by aussieJJDude »

mak0124 wrote:Yes i checked craiglist and found nothing.
How about other sites similar to craigslist? From what I can gather, it seems like in the US its pretty common to have crabs on sale on craigslist unless you live in a smaller town... Anyway, even making an ad saying you're looking for crabs could work as well... Just say your rehoming unwanted crabs ect...
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40

Post by emmac350 »

aussieJJDude wrote: How about other sites similar to craigslist? From what I can gather, it seems like in the US its pretty common to have crabs on sale on craigslist unless you live in a smaller town... Anyway, even making an ad saying you're looking for crabs could work as well... Just say your rehoming unwanted crabs ect...
Ehh, I live in a city with over 120,000 people and hermit crabs haven't been on craigslist in the last month that I've been here. I guess you could put an ad out saying you're willing to take them, but given mako's age that probably isn't a wise thing to do. Freecycle is another site but it's mostly for stuff people are going to put out on the curb, not animals.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
mak0124
Zygote
Zygote

Post by mak0124 »

emmac350 wrote:
aussieJJDude wrote: How about other sites similar to craigslist? From what I can gather, it seems like in the US its pretty common to have crabs on sale on craigslist unless you live in a smaller town... Anyway, even making an ad saying you're looking for crabs could work as well... Just say your rehoming unwanted crabs ect...
How about other sites similar to craigslist? From what I can gather, it seems like in the US its pretty common to have crabs on sale on craigslist unless you live in a smaller town... Anyway, even making an ad saying you're looking for crabs could work as well... Just say your rehoming unwanted crabs ect...

Well i found a marine cleaner crab for 60$. not exactly what i was looking for. I DID find a kritter keeper combo that came with 2 crabs but i think they have PPS cuz they probably both lived in a plastic cage ):
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

Yeah, marine cleaner crab is for having an aquarium, not land hermit crabs. If you found two in a kritter keeper, get them and put them in your tank! They probably will be stressed, but getting them into a good environment will definitely help them out. It's no guarantee that they'll survive but it's at least friends for your current crab.

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
mak0124
Zygote
Zygote

Post by mak0124 »

emmac350 wrote:Yeah, marine cleaner crab is for having an aquarium, not land hermit crabs. If you found two in a kritter keeper, get them and put them in your tank! They probably will be stressed, but getting them into a good environment will definitely help them out. It's no guarantee that they'll survive but it's at least friends for your current crab.
the thing is, they don't say which type of crab. i don't want ecus, as they do not interact with PP's much (at least I've heard that) and plus its 30$.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

If they're charging, yeah, it isn't worth it. But Es and PPs don't really have issues with each other. At least, I can say that I had 4 Es and 4 PPs in the same tank with no issue. However, the two species were wildly different sizes. My Es were miniscule - .25" shell openings, whereas my PPs at the time were from 1.5" opening down to about .75" openings.

Mommy to:

mak0124
Zygote
Zygote

Post by mak0124 »

emmac350 wrote:If they're charging, yeah, it isn't worth it. But Es and PPs don't really have issues with each other. At least, I can say that I had 4 Es and 4 PPs in the same tank with no issue. However, the two species were wildly different sizes. My Es were miniscule - .25" shell openings, whereas my PPs at the time were from 1.5" opening down to about .75" openings.
[

Do you know any trusty websites where they sell crabs