Obsessed with my two darling and snobby PPs

For off-topic chat. Please introduce yourself here.
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Re: Obsessed with my two darling and snobby PPs

Post by aussieJJDude »

While moulting they will just stay down; so it's a good chance that he may be destressing after all. XD
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
sammsw
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 50

Post by sammsw »

Edit*** I don't think he's drinking the water. The humidity in the iso has been staying relatively high and I think that it is evaporating out and is hanging out in the air. I haven't seen hide or hair of him in several days and he's still buried down in the basket. Aside from having shells available for when he emerges, should I be providing him food every day? I feel like it's wasteful when he could be down there for ages.
sammsw
Zygote
Zygote

Post by sammsw »

!!! I also wanted to ask your advice about the crab in the main tank. He's now in there all alone and seems to be less happy than before. Should I purchase another crab to accompany him? What happens if one of them begins to moult while the iso is occupied? Is this how I become a crazy crab lady with tanks all over the house?
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by aussieJJDude »

Should I be providing him food every day?
Yes it's a good idea too. Instead of offering him fresh food maybe see if you can offer anything dry like a healthy muesli or some dried fruit? That way you can leave it be and - hopefully - it won't go to waste. The reason to offer foods often when a hermie finishes a moult or if just destressing they can come back up to eat and drink before going under again! :lol: so it's good idea to offer it just in case.
Should I purchase another crab to accompany him?
That of course is up to you. A 20g tank can hold around 3 - 4 crabs for a while depending on whether its a 20 long or a 20 tall. Maybe see if you can adopt any crab close by that needs a loving home; however it's up to you. At most; I would say it's ok to add another if you really want. 2 crabs in a 20g will last longer than 3 or more crabs in a 20g; so it's your choice on whether your hoping to upgrade any time soon.
What happens if one of them begins to moult while the iso is occupied?
I'm a firm believer as long as the main tank has enough substrate, then there is no point on ISO'ing a moulting crab (unless dug up for whatever reason or a surface moulter). if you happen to need the ISO but it's already "full" divide it with some glass; flyscreen/plastic netting, a small tote inside the ISO so they - the crabs - have a place to chill. A good idea is to have something handy just in case; ranging from a betta divider to a small plastic food container.
Is this how I become a crazy crab lady with tanks all over the house?
On of the ways... But yes! XD
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
sammsw
Zygote
Zygote

Post by sammsw »

Okay, awesome. Thank you so much for all your help!
sammsw
Zygote
Zygote

Post by sammsw »

He came up!!! He came up and he is a brilliant and beautiful shade of red now. How soon can/should I move him to the main tank? I noticed the basket he has been buried in has mold on it (!!! I'm still learning what materials can survive in the humidity.) and I'm worried about leaving him in there but don't want to move him too soon and lose him to stress or the other crab!
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by aussieJJDude »

I would move him now; if the crabs can walk around normally then he is ready to go back into the main tank. At most; a quick dunk in the freshwater pool in the main tank so he isn't treated like a newbie (smells the same).
As for the basket; it may be best to throw it out.

Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 60
Total tanks: 3

Post by Ginger »

I would wait a 3-7 days sammsw just to make sure that he has properly hardened, finished moulting and all is running smoothly. When reintroducing to the other crab, I would recommend giving them a saltwater bath or redecorating the tank so that they don't think the other is some strange new inhabitant that may provoke fights. Also, if you have not done so yet you should remove the mouldy basket.
sammsw
Zygote
Zygote

Post by sammsw »

Yeah, last night after posting I removed the moldy basket. He had other places to hide in the iso so he went ahead and scuttled in. He's been real busy all about the iso, eating, drinking, climbing. I found him in there last night, so I'll go ahead and give him another day or so before I move him back over. I'll also be sure to give them baths. I'm so excited! He looks so awesome.
sammsw
Zygote
Zygote

Post by sammsw »

Yeah, last night after posting I removed the moldy basket. He had other places to hide in the iso so he went ahead and scuttled in. He's been real busy all about the iso, eating, drinking, climbing. I found him in there last night, so I'll go ahead and give him another day or so before I move him back over. I'll also be sure to give them baths. I'm so excited! He looks so awesome.