second level

Questions about designing a terrarium.
iluvhermies
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 46

Post by iluvhermies »

I took some suction cups and got some netting and placed it where they could climb up it and they loved to get up there. I also have a vine near it and a piece of choyo wood so they can use it to climb up and down.

I am just sticking with a 6"x6" square plastic covered box (NOT card board, it's metal with plastic over it along with a special touch of grippy place mat for color) filled with spanish moss.

Can the metal not rust? Is it real spanish moss? Spanish moss is not suppose to be used for crabs.
Big Daddy*Speedy*Doc*Spot*Sandy*Spongebob*Kolasas*Mrs. Puff*Larry*Gary*Joy*Liberty*Troy*Gabrielle*Ryan*Chelsea
Eddie*Maddie*London*Irwin*Miley*Oliver*Marianna*Dalton*
Chevin*Peeping Tom*April*Hannah*Peanut*Brandon*Brandi*
Autumn*Peyton*Zac*Corbin*Lilly*Rico*Queenie*Princess*Prince
Bruce*Cheese*Sharpay*Elmo*Chris
hermiesrokmysox
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 7

Post by hermiesrokmysox »

It didn't rust for long time. it's acutally already covered in plastic but i put this grip over it. But then the grip stuff got teared and then it rusted. i don't use it any more, or spanish moss. it was causing my crbas to have weird white blotches. now they are fine. :D
♥Hollywood♥LittleRed♥Qwerty♥Peanut♥Sprite♥Pip♥Paisly
http://hermielog2008.blogspot.com/
hey, im back. :)
Jedi_Sena
Zoea IV
Zoea IV
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 55
Total tanks: 1

10 gallon second level

Post by Jedi_Sena »

I strongly disagree w/ Wai on this one! If your crabs have to be confined to a small space, make it as enjoyable as possible! A second level is a great idea for a small tank because it nearly doubles the explorable space. Here is my first 2nd level setup:
http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/1189 ... at1rx3.jpg
I made the boardwalk out of popcicle sticks and wooden dowels. The background is a climbing wall made out of a bamboo placemat that I got at the dollar store and attached w/ velcro at the top of the tank. Make sure to cut the bottom of the bamboo so that none of it is under the substrate (or it will mold). The boardwalk wood will also mold where it is underground, so remove it occasionally to clean and allow to dry out (or make 2 and swap them out every couple days). I wet my substrate w/ saltwater to retard mold. I also used a suction cup style soap dish to elevate the natural sea sponge to free up some space on the ground and to keep the crabs from shredding it or contaminating it w/ food particles. There is also a deep bathing pool on the left front corner w/ a coral ladder.
There was no ramp up to the boardwalk, but even the crab who was missing a leg was able to climb up the verticle poles to get to the top. I mostly put shells on it or snacks and kept the food and water dishes on the bottom level for easier access.
Jaci
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by Jaci »

i've seen suction cups in petco and seen them talked about on here. what exactly are they for? do you just put them in the tank and they use them to crawl up, or are they used to help hang decorations?
*** Lemi *** Bebe *** Wendy *** Ike *** Craig *** Aries*** Zeus ***

RIP:
Token 1/8/06 * Butters 1/31/06 * Tweek 3/16/06 * Shelley 4/14/06 * Timmy 8/5/06 * Athena 11/6/06 * Jimmy 1/22/08 * Apollo 2/4/08
Jedi_Sena
Zoea IV
Zoea IV

suction cups

Post by Jedi_Sena »

Avoid suction cups w/ metal. Use the all-plastic ones. You can hang nets on them as a ladder to the second level or to hang decorations. I use a clip-style one to hold up leaves just off the ground so that they don't mold on the sand before the crabs eat it.
Jaci
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by Jaci »

how interesting. i'll have to look into that. i've seen vines that could be held up with suction cups i guess. anyone know what large hermies like to climb? my little ones love the climbing wall bc they will sit and fall asleep in the corner lol. are large crabs too big for the wall? any ideas?

RIP:
Token 1/8/06 * Butters 1/31/06 * Tweek 3/16/06 * Shelley 4/14/06 * Timmy 8/5/06 * Athena 11/6/06 * Jimmy 1/22/08 * Apollo 2/4/08
iluvhermies
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by iluvhermies »

My large crabs like to climb on the vines and they like to climb on my choya wood stick. I plce it in the sand and prop it against the glass. They all climb and sit on it.
Big Daddy*Speedy*Doc*Spot*Sandy*Spongebob*Kolasas*Mrs. Puff*Larry*Gary*Joy*Liberty*Troy*Gabrielle*Ryan*Chelsea
Jaci
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by Jaci »

where do you get choya wood? i think i may get the vines. thanks for the advice!

RIP:
iluvhermies
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by iluvhermies »

You can get it at the pet stores. I think you said in another section that you may already have some.
Jedi_Sena
Zoea IV
Zoea IV

second level idea

Post by Jedi_Sena »

I have an idea that I've been dying to try. I saw someone on the forums use those ceramic potpouri warmers that hold a tea light at the bottom. I want to get two to four of the same and use them for pillars for my second level. The tealight area can be used like a cave and carpeted w/ moss for a snuggly hidaway. I have seen them sold at the dollar store but never 4 the same color/height, but I keep my eye open. Looks like this:
http://search.msn.com/images/results.as ... 12&go.y=10#