Tropic Aire Humidifier-Humidity Problems

Questions about designing a terrarium.
Onyxsun1
Zygote
Zygote

Tropic Aire Humidifier-Humidity Problems

Post by Onyxsun1 »

Kerie,

I have recieved my Tropic Aire Humidifier and am using it. I dont know if there is something I am doing wrong but I cant get the humidity to go above 60%. At night with the moonglow bulb it hangs around 60% but during the day with the 60 watt sunglow it heads back to 50%. I have the humidifier sitting just a little bit below the tank I keep the crabs in and am using a 2500cc air pump. The tank is 10 gallon and the temp is at 80 degrees. The water in the humidifier is churning like a bandit. I have secured the escape route for outside air getting in so what the heck is the problem? Any ideas??? Do I need a bigger pump yet?? I also cant find the web site again explaining about what cc I need for what size tank. At this point I am thinking I need a Godzilla sized pump... if there is such a thing:S
One more thing. Is it necessary to run the sunglow or can I just use the moonglow and run the flourescent all day for light?

Thanks,
Kathy.....
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

You'd might like to just use the moonglow bulb if it keeps the humidity better. If you need an urgent boost of humidity right away, get a spray bottle and spray the air in the tank with dechlorinated water.
Wai
Julia_Crab
Zoea I
Zoea I

Humidity

Post by Julia_Crab »

Hi!

I'm glad you got a humidifier, there's probably either a twist in your air line, or the pump isn't big enough. I think they want you to use 4000 cc at least on those. I use a gardening air pump that is 3 psi or something ridiculous to run both of my humidifiers. If you still have the box for the TropicAire, it has a little area somewhere on it that tells you what size pump you need to use. I've thrown mine out, or I could tell you for certain.

I don't know if you have a gap for air exchange, but you don't need it any more. So, if your lid is open a bit, close it up. I only crack mine now when the humidity is too high, generally after I get up in the morning. I know you have to have a gap to keep the air line from being pinched; I cover my 1/4 inch gap with a plastic garbage bag folded into a strip.

You don't have to run the sunglow if you don't want to. If your tank is warm enough with a moonglow and a fluoro, by all means, go for it. The whole light/heat issue is a new one, so we're all on a learning curve here!

Just keep fiddling with your equipment, and don't be afraid to experiment, and you'll soon sort out the trouble. Good luck!

Kerie
Kerie (aka Julia Crab)

Member, Crustacean Society, 2005

See my

crabs:
http://crabstreetjournal.com/photos/ent ... ?cat=10239

Like them? My

store:
http://www.cafepress.com/crabhappy

Feed your crabs:
http://www.epicurean-hermit.com