Hermit Crabs Out of Their Shell

Questions about unexpected problems.
Mr. Hermy Crab
Zygote
Zygote

Hermit Crabs Out of Their Shell

Post by Mr. Hermy Crab »

1. Hello I'm new.

2.Is it possible to get a hermit crab out of its shell without hurting it?
Also what does a hermit crab look like without its shell???
hermiesrokmysox
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 7

Re: Hermit Crabs Out of Their Shell

Post by hermiesrokmysox »

For # 2, you should NEVR EVER pull a crab out of his shell! This can kill him. A shell coveers their abdomen which is very sensitive. I don't really know if it's possible to pull it out, but you shouldn't be trying to! It's very cruel to do.

Here's a pick (it's an un healthy crab as you can see, it only has 2 legs):
http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Bug,%20H14.jpg check out the link.
~J~
PS- might i add that this can kill him becuase the crab can rip in half by trying to keep its self inside the shell. :(
♥Hollywood♥LittleRed♥Qwerty♥Peanut♥Sprite♥Pip♥Paisly
http://hermielog2008.blogspot.com/
hey, im back. :)
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

A hermit crab will prefer to let itself be torn apart than let you take its shell away, so NEVER under any circumstances, rip the hermit crab out.
Wai
Mr. Hermy Crab
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Mr. Hermy Crab »

I didn't pull it out I just have a really shy crab that won't come out even when I give it a bath. I asked that to see if I could get him out so he could move around with the others.
hermiesrokmysox
Megalopa
Megalopa

ooo, okay i understand.
Well, the best is to leave it along. Walk into the room slowly, and you might find him out and about. On the weekend (as it is now starting for me!) try staying up at night to watch your hermies. I am doing that tonight. ;)
~Jillian~ PS- i had a shy crab, he took 30 minutes to come out of it's shell (not with the abdomen showing)!!! He was so cautious. Now he is really cute and likes to climb around a lot. Just have patience and soon you will have an active hermie! How long have you owned him/her?
Mr. Hermy Crab
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Mr. Hermy Crab »

About a week. It does take 30 minutes for it to come out IF it will come out. Even at night it wasn't out. I have to leave it alone without other crabs before it will even think of coming out. Well I just wanted to make sure nothing was wrong with my crab.
hermiesrokmysox
Megalopa
Megalopa

does anyone else think it should be placed in ISO?
I don'tr know, he seems like he must be really stressed.
He hasn't moved? At all?
Maybe you should put him in ISO.
I guess don't touch him...
~Jillian~ PS- did you purchase him at the same store of any of your other crabs? (*)
krazykrablady
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by krazykrablady »

one of my crabs has been like that as well... I bought it on Feb. 1st, and even when I stay up late, I don't see it active... when I get up in the morning, she's somewhere else, so I know she's moving around!

however, yesterday while I was re-doing the crabitat, I decided to try the shower trick w/ em... I put them (I have 2) in a plastic container w/ their hut and extra shells, then put that on the floor in the restroom... I turned the shower on hot water, closed the curtain and let the room steam up for about 10 min... when I took them out of there, they were BOTH really really active for awhile! it was so neat, the kids finally got to hold them, and we had a blast watching them run around! you might try this, there's a post about this method somewhere on this site...
krazykrablady
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by krazykrablady »

it's in the moulting section of the fourums....
Mr. Hermy Crab
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Mr. Hermy Crab »

I bought 2 from the same store and day and the other one is the MOST active. And it is just like you said it because it only moves when I'm not around. Well it has strated coming out quicker, but still isn't too comfortable.