What hermit crabs need

Questions about designing a terrarium.
erikleeson
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 0

What hermit crabs need

Post by erikleeson »

If you haven't already read the crab care section of this site, I recommend you do so immediately. Especially for new crabbers.

This will just be a brief section of items needed in a proper crabitat. If you have all the items listed below, you will have happy, healthy hermit crabs.

I just want to start off by saying don't buy your crabs until the crabitat is setup.

• Enclosure: This is where the crabs will be living for most of their time with you. A ten gallon glass aquarium is great. Ten gallon tanks are great for small crabs as they will have plenty of space to roam around in. The bigger the tank, the better. However, don't go out and by a 100 gallon tank for 3 small crabs. They need space, but they shouldn't get lost. If your housing jumbo crabs, it is absolutely necessary you have a tank size of at least 20 gallons, and preferably more. If you have an old leaky glass aquarium deep in the closets of your basement, you can use that. The "crabitat" will not be holding water except in its own dishes.

• Lid: A lid is beneficial for numerous reasons. The tank will hold in more humidity and heat than having an open top. The crabs will also not be able to escape, which believe me they will if they find a route. Even if you don't have any structures leading to the top, you still need a lid. A glass lid is the best. It holds in heat and humidity really well. You can use a screen lid, however it won't hold in heat and humidity which is vital in a crabs life nearly as well as a glass lid would. You can have a screen lid covered with saran wrap, and that will help hold in heat and humidity. You can even even use a light fixture for fluorescent lights. Another thing is to make sure you have a small open corner for air circulation.

• Substrate: All hermit crabs need to be kept on some sort of bedding. Having no substrate eliminates all natural burrowing behaviors. Your substrate needs to be kept at least twice as high as your largest crab, preferably an inch or so higher. The crab needs to be able to completely bury himself and more. Play sand is probably your best bet. Its great for the crabs as they just love exploring around and digging in it. It provides a nice look to your crabitat, and its easy to get too! Go to home depot and get a 50 lb bag of play sand for $3 versus a 1 lb bag of "hermit crab sand" for $6. An interesting alternative to play sand would be coconut fiber, more commonly known as "Eco Earth" or "Forest Bedding". Eco earth is an excellent burrowing substrate for crabs. They love digging in this stuff. If you have play sand and add in some EE, All the crabs will start digging in it. EE is also fantastic for holding in humidity and moisture. It also naturally breaks down waste. The only downside, it attracts bugs. I'd recommend about a third of your tank being Eco Earth and the rest being play sand. You can also use beach sand instead of play sand. NEVER EVER use wood chips or gravel. Wood chips easily attracts mites, easily molds in the humid crabitat and many woods are unsafe for hermit crabs. While gravel is pretty, it makes digging a real challenge. Stick to a mixture of play sand and Eco earth or just one of those two.

• Heat source: Hermit crabs come form hot tropical environments like the Florida Keyes and the Caribbean. Your house is most likely not warm enough, so an additional heat source is required. You can use an under tank heating mat (a.k.a. UTH), or you can use heat lights. UTH's go on the bottom or side of the tank and warm up the substrate, however if your not housing small crabs than you will have deep substrate and the UTH will be ineffective. Heat lights are great because they can provide UVA and UVB for the crabs and it can simulate natural moonlight with a moon light bulb. However, bulbs usually dry out the tank easier. I'd still recommend bulbs for larger tanks. Proper temperature is around 76 - 82 F (24 - 28 C)

• Dishes: Hermit crabs need 3 dishes. Food, fresh water and salt water. Reptile dishes are now considered the best for keeping hermit crabs as they have a natural look and feel and also provide a way for the crabs to escape. The water dishes should be kept at a depth in which the crab is almost completely submerged. In general my crabs rarely bath but rather sit on top of the dish and drink form there. The crabs however will submerge themselves in order to clean they're body of debris and replenish "shell water" which they carry around in their shell to keep them hydrated. If you have crabs of different sizes, shells, pepples or sponges can be added to provide small crabs a safe way out. However, most reptile water dishes have built in stairs so this won't be necessary.

• Shells: A Hermit crabs' shell is not his own, but rather "borrowed" from other gastropods such as snails. In captivity, extra shells must be provided. A good sized shell is one that's opening is slightly larger than the big pincher. If a crab can withdraw into his shell and seal the opening with his large pincer and third walking leg, its a good fit. However, hermit crabs must change shells from time to time. If the shell is not a good fit, or just for variety. Each crab should have at least three extra shells. One roughly the same size, one larger and one smaller. Its good to have a "shell shoppe" which can just be a small plastic basket filled to the brim with shells. If not enough shells are provided, crabs may fight over shells and the results can be devastating.

• Thermometer: This is just used to determine the temperature in the crabitat, it should be placed near the substrate where the crabs usually are. Whether its a cheap stick on or a fancy digital, a thermometer is vital.

• Hygrometer: Like the thermometer, it should be kept near the substrate and is vital. A hygrometer measures relative humidity (how moist the air is). Humidity should be from 75 - 90% But absolutely NEVER under 70%.

• Shelter: Hermit crabs spend a good deal of their time under shelters. Under shelters, the relative humidity is higher and it is darker where they feel more secure from predators. A shelter can be anything really, coconut huts, ceramic pots on their side, hollow logs, PVC pipes, Fake plants, Anything really. I find that my crabs enjoy looking for hiding spots themselves, such as placing numerous branches together creating a shelter. Usually, the darker the better. In the darkness, the crab feels hidden from potential predators but in the light, it feels exposed. A large, low, small opening shelter can provide plenty of room and darkness for the crabs to enjoy, however they will enjoy any other shelters just as much.

• Climbing objects: Hermit crabs are great climbers, and even creatures as primitive as hermit crabs have a great talent for climbing and can easily climb feats you didn't think was possible. They need to climb to exhibit their natural behaviors and get exercise and entertainment. Besides, wouldn't you want to see your crab in places you wouldn't expect them? There are way too many things for them to climb on so your options are wide. Fake plants, driftwood, mopani wood, Malaysian wood, fig wood, ceramic wood, resin wood, petrified wood, choya wood, cork bark, rocks, coral, water stone, coco fiber walls, fish nets, lego structures, aquarium decor, shelters and even thermometers can be climbed. Filling this requirement should not be that hard.

• Water conditioner: Hermit crabs can not drink tap water. The chlorine can cause permanent blisters on their gills and will cause them a slow painful death. Purchase a tap water conditioner meant for fish. Do not get a water conditioner with slime coat or stress coat. Look for tags like "tap water conditioner" and "removes chlorine and heavy metals". Try and get a water conditioner that has instructions for mixing up one gallon of water. Its easier to have water pre made than having to make it every day. Also look for a water conditioner that has a dropper style format. Do not refrigerate your batch of water.

• Salt: While you may hear that only exotic hermit crabs need slat water, all species need it. Get a package of aquarium salt, not sea salt meant for foods. You can usually find your salt in the fish aisle of the pet store. Again, find one that has instructions for making a batch of water. I'd recommend Instant ocean, Oceanic, Doc wellfish, or Nutrafin aquarium salt. Make sure your salt is not meant for healing fish. If using Doc wellfish or Nutrafin, follow directions for hatching brine shrimp. All water should be served at room temperature.

• Crabs: Don't get one crab, In the wild they travel in packs form 10 - 100+. They generally do well with 3-4. But really, the more the merrier. Its okay to mix different sizes and species, however each species should have another friend of its species, meaning don't have 3 PP's and one E. Hermit crabs perform various group activities. They gather around at the food dish, "talk" to each other, climb eachother, explore new areas together, everything. Besides, when one crab is underground molting, you will have plenty of other crabs to watch and play :)

Thank you for reading this list! If all these expectations are met, you can insure some happy crabbies! :D

*** ISO: an isolation tank (or ISO) is a tank meant for bullies, newcomers, and molters. It is simply a smaller version of your tank. I should have a shelter, food and water. When one crab needs to be alone, the ISO is where he belongs for a few days. While not entirely necessary, its good to have one ready.
Last edited by erikleeson on 03 Jun 2009, 09:40, edited 1 time in total.
ERIK LEESON

These are currently living in a better home...
Zeke+Finnigan+Wesker+Mendez+Xavi+Garth+Zoidberg+Gomez+Gilbert+Bobo+Luther
SEE THEM HERE

Need help? I'm on here lots so PM me for any questions you need answered!

Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: What hermit crabs need

Post by Wai »

I'll sticky this thread. Hopefully it should save us a bit of time spent on answering the same questions over and over again.
Wai
erikleeson
Megalopa
Megalopa

Post by erikleeson »

Thats what I was thinking, thanks and thank you for putting on such an awesome site ;)
Last edited by erikleeson on 03 Jun 2009, 09:41, edited 1 time in total.
ERIK LEESON

SEE THEM HERE

Mr.Crab
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 3

Post by Mr.Crab »

Awesome looks good. NICE WORK! Thx Wai for the sticky. I will definetly look back to this.
!!! pictures of my medium pp (take a look and plz comment)
http://hermitcrabparadise.com/forums/vi ... 911#p17911

[[NO PAINTED SHELLS, PAINTED SHELLS ARE TOXIC!!]]
[[PLEASE, ONLY BUY NATURAL SHELLS, WITH NO FINISHES OR SHINES. OR CLEAR COATS!!]]
krabby_katie
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 9

Post by krabby_katie »

That's awsome! Very good work.
-Katie Forbes
Es: Mr. Krabs*Xena*Hubert*Clarice*Tank*Paras
PPs: Cosmo*Unknown*Darla

RIP: Sandy + Calypso + Kaluha + Jorgen von Strangle + Daisy + Mojo (assumed) + Stella
See them: http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w69/katelynforbes/
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

“If you haven't already read the crab care section of this site,”

I realize because you did mention in another post that this was done before the announcement regarding not to use the Crab Care section, but due to this being a sticky… I would like to re-mention that it is on the home page of HCP in red lettering ½ way down the page not to use the Crab Care Section.

“Play sand is probably your best bet.”

Not exactly, even the suppose to be higher quality Quickrete play sand has impurties within it that washing and baking cannot remove.

PlaySand

“Heat lights are great because they can provide UVA and UVB for the crabs and it can simulate natural moonlight with a moon light bulb. However, bulbs usually dry out the tank easier. I'd still recommend bulbs for larger tanks. Proper temperature is around 76 - 82 F (24 - 28 C)”

All lights emit a certain amount of UV/UVB rays including the moon glow bulbs, and for this reason if one opts to use a light for a night warming source it needs to be coated with a rare phosphorus coating. (this coating will be written right on the package) The moon does not emit these rays.
With monitoring the air temp of a tank, it is very important to also monitor the substrate temperature of the tank as well. There normally is a difference between the 2, and at times some crabbers have found it to be an alarming 20-30* F difference.
(-6.67--1.11* C)

Crabitat_temp

“Dishes: Hermit crabs need 3 dishes. Food, fresh water and salt water. Reptile dishes are now considered the best for keeping hermit crabs as they have a natural look and feel and also provide a way for the crabs to escape.”

Also quite expensive for some as well. Many have resorted to using other dishes for ponds such as Tupperware type containers as well as other non metallic dishes. They use these so their hermies are able to totally submerge in the water pond for bathing themselves if they opt to do so. However, one does need to provide a safe secure way out of the water dishes for the little ones. Some use corals, sponges, vines or even netting, etc. to accomplish this.

“Hygrometer: Like the thermometer, it should be kept near the substrate and is vital. A hygrometer measures relative humidity (how moist the air is). Humidity should be from 75 - 90% But absolutely NEVER under 70%.”

This is a very vital item to have due to how necessary it is to have a proper humidity percentage for them to breath through their modified gills. The humidity percentage one would want to aim for is 75-78%. Anything over 82 creates a higher potential for mold/bacteria complications. It will also make the air too saturated for the hermies to breath properly through their modified gills creating a stressful situation for them. At levels higher, some hermies have been observed blowing clear bubbles through their gills because of it… this can cause irreversible gill damage. One that will not regenerate when the hermie molts. When one buys a humidity gauge they should always calibrate/test it prior to using it. Majority of the time they are off and have been off as much as 20% at times. Quite a difference when a creature depends so much on a proper level to breath correctly through their modified gills. The testing of the gauge should be done too about once a month as well:

Calibrate

“• Water conditioner: Look for tags like "tap water conditioner" and "removes chlorine and heavy metals". “

The dechlorinator also needs to remove chloramines from tap water. But regardless of what tap water conditioner one buys, none remove the fluoride in tap water. (fluoride is known to cause mutations and defects in zoea, but no testing has been done to date to my knowledge whether it does any harm to adult hermies)

• “Salt: While you may hear that only exotic hermit crabs need slat water, all species need it. Get a package of aquarium salt, not sea salt meant for foods.”

This includes the organic salts sold for humans. One needs to buy an ocean/sea water mix specifically made for salt water fish tanks.

“You can usually find your salt in the fish aisle of the pet store. Again, find one that has instructions for making a batch of water. I'd recommend Instant ocean, Oceanic, Doc wellfish, or Nutrafin aquarium salt.”

Doc Wellfish is a fresh water salt mix. (now also known as API) There is a definite element difference between ocean salt and freshwater salts sold and hermies need the elements found in ocean/sea water mixes to remain healthy. DocWellfish (API) is also an Epson salt. (read towards the bottom of the link below) For recommended ocean/sea salt mixes, and how to mix smaller portions, they can be viewed:

Ocean_mixes

*** ISO: an isolation tank (or ISO) is a tank meant for bullies, newcomers, and molters. It is simply a smaller version of your tank. I should have a shelter, food and water. When one crab needs to be alone, the ISO is where he belongs for a few days. While not entirely necessary, its good to have one ready.

All crabbers should have an iso even if it is a critter keeper than one would place within their main tank to separate a hermie from the others. If one has a separate iso set up, then it must have all the criteria that the main tank has.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
erikleeson
Megalopa
Megalopa

Post by erikleeson »

Sorry if I lit up the "correcting side" of you Marie, but I kind of just wanted to keep it basic.

I am aware of many things you have listed I just tried not to make it sound like hermit crabs are a black diamond pet. They are quite easy, you just need to keep some things in mind. Sorry.

Thanks for the extra information though, good to have you on the forum to keep things in a correct manner!
ERIK LEESON

SEE THEM HERE

ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

The crab care section is in need of much needed updating with current research and experience. This thread is a sticky, which means most times stickies are read by new crabbers/members. For this reason information posted should be as close to the needs that hermies do require to remain healthy as well as being able to thrive while living in captivity. (especially with a subject title of "What hermit crabs need".) From belonging to forums for several years now I do know that there are many who do not post, but do a lot of reading. For this reason, as much correct info should be posted for their benefit.
Many who do join forums are out for researching as much as they can about their pets. As it is, hermies are displayed as the "Easy to care for pet", and many are quite surprised as to what is actually needed to keep them alive and healthy. Some also come to realize that they are not financially capable of providing the criteria needed for their new pets. So it is not that one is trying to make them out to be a "Blcak diamond pet", but sharing the information that is required to keep them alive and healthy.
The internet can be a wonderful place to learn and research, but where as there is some good info there is also just as much bad info. For this reason it is important to make sure all info is written, even if to us it seems so basic. Think back when you first got your hermeis... if you didn't have the opportunity to research them first.
Too many times 'details' can mean the life or death of a hermie...
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
erikleeson
Megalopa
Megalopa

Post by erikleeson »

Well I consider hermit crabs an easy to care for pet. There are much more advanced pets then a hermit crab. And this thread is a sticky which means it was selected because it will be put to good use to crabbers, new and old. This information is not necessarily wrong, nor is it in absolute full detail. I tried to keep it as simple as I could without making it a ten word list, but I didn't want to "write a book" as some people may say. And remember its not like a new pet owner will read one care sheet or info page on this site - if the new crabber is smart enough to join a forum, they will definitely read many many care sheets etc..
ERIK LEESON

SEE THEM HERE

Hermie's rule
Zoea IV
Zoea IV
Hermit crabs: 3

Post by Hermie's rule »

If you want a hermie to escape into your house one night and rot somewhere say under the fridge or their gills to dry out from having no humidity in the air, then I guess you don't need a lid. XD