mamaturtle2000
Banned
Banned
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 104
Total tanks: 3

Mold on My coco-hut

Post by mamaturtle2000 »

I bought my crabbies a coconut the other day and my hubby managed to cut it open in such a way as to create (I think) the perfect hut #D . We gave them some "flesh" and froze the rest. Well....I just happened to notice that my coconut is getting mold on the side that is up against the glass! (It's in the corner facing out on a diagonal) Because mold hadn't been a problem for me before, I hadn't read any postings about it until just now. On the rare occasion that I need to mist nowadays I am not using salt water, but the dechlorinated fresh because I did worry that it would crystallize on the glass or in the substrate (as I have now read as a possibility ;) ). So....does this mean my humidity is too high or could it be because I didn't bake the coconut and how do I get rid of it on a semi-permanent basis? One note, I have a molter in ISO in the tank, so a deep clean isn't practical any time soon.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: Mold on My coco-hut

Post by emmac350 »

Soak the cocohut in salt water for a few hours, then bake it at 350 for half an hour or so. Oh, and scrub off the mold while it's soaking with a scrub brush or something similar.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
mamaturtle2000
Banned
Banned
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 104
Total tanks: 3

Re: Mold on My coco-hut

Post by mamaturtle2000 »

Well, I took it out, but I will do that in case I wanna put it back in. Thanks!