POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 69
Total tanks: 3

Hammock Of Mould!!!

Post by POPPIT »

OMG!!!....Last night i went to roll over a shell in the hammock moss shell shop and i see green mould on the moss...pulling up the rest of the moss revealed mould growing all over the jute hammock..green mould along with white spotted mould and white fuzzy mould...well i wasn't happy as my crabs have been spending most of their time up there and i dont know the affects of mould and hermits...so i threw out the moss,removed the shells and when i looked under the hammock the mould was even worse and yes my crabs have been crawling on the underneath of the hammock!!!....I removed the hammock completely so the shells are just near the water pools now....I feel so bad not noticing or expecting this and im wondering if this mould outbreak could have affected my crabs in any way..I really need a hammock shell shop as it keeps the shells clean inside and also give the tank more floor space so does any of you know of any materials that wont grow mould and thats safe for hermits? Oh and i want something with small gaps so the moss (if i use moss ever again) doesn't fall through
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: Hammock Of Mould!!!

Post by emmac350 »

How did you treat the hammock before putting it into your tank? Soaking things in salt water can prevent mold pretty well, but once you have mold it can be hard or impossible to get rid of.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

I soaked it in salt water and let it dry in the sun....I will be throwing the hammock out to avoid any health risk...Im a bit gutted as it wasn't that cheap lol and made a great addition to the crabitat.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

Can you knit or crochet? You can make one yourself with hemp/jute fiber for your crabs. Just keep in mind though that they shouldn't rest on damp substrate as eventually that will cause even those fibers treated with salt water to mold. They should always be suspended over the substrate.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

Hi Emma the hammock in the pic was made of jute and was suspended above substrate/water pools was soaked in salt water and dried before i put it in the tank...It had moist moss on top for the shell shop which i only misted about 2 times...so im worried about using jute again...I was thinking of using that green shadecloth stuff or buying another reptile hammock (is also a green meshy type material)...
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 60

Post by Ginger »

I'm pretty sure you are talking about shade cloth Poppit, that should be fine as long as they don't chew on it excessively just because it's plasticky. I use just for all sorts of bits and bobs in my tank I don't seem to have any trouble with it... But then again it is not a large amount of it and I haven't had any experience with mould.
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

Thanks Ginger...Yes i have seen some very creative things in fellow crabitats(Including your own)..It always amazes me..I will have to go in search for items i can use. I think the green repti hammock might be suited though and might be safer then if i made one myself as its an actual pet product although it is surprising how unsafe a lot of hermit products are....I will have to browse the galleries for inspiration i think ☺